Unexpected Hidden Chicks

Chicks are exhausted after hatching, I'de give it a couple more hours or at least until he's dried out and fluffy. That usually takes 24 hours. He should have his bearings by then and be able to walk around. ;)
Congrats on your baby! That is really incredible! As long as this chick is healthy and mobile, you should be able to slip him/her under her at night while she's a sleep with no problems.
Good luck! We love picture btw!
Thank you! I used a wipe warmer, heating pad, and my hygrometer/thermometer to make a little incubator.
7683AD50-4353-4EBD-9F22-8F4E1A929275.jpeg

We have since moved the late bloomer into a larger wax box and I made the “mama heating pad” I discovered here.
BD45CCF7-010D-4CBF-8DDB-3AC070D2B14F.jpeg
I’m thinking I’ll wait until tomorrow night maybe to try and sneak the little newbie in unless I am advised tonight would be better.

Thank you! I used a wipe warmer, heating pad, and my hygrometer/thermometer to make a little incubator.
View attachment 2847578

We have since moved the late bloomer into a larger wax box and I made the “mama heating pad” I discovered here.
View attachment 2847579I’m thinking I’ll wait until tomorrow night maybe to try and sneak the little newbie in unless I am advised tonight would be better.
I have no idea on your question, but my goodness are you inventive!!! Nicely done!

View attachment 2847578

View attachment 2847579I’m thinking I’ll wait until tomorrow night maybe to try and sneak the little newbie in unless I am advised tonight would be better.

Just be careful, the mama hen may not take the baby, she may hurt it. She may think it is a threat to her other babies

I now realized I was not clear in it. Should I wait until the newest chick is standing to sneak him in with the rest? Would doing so tomorrow be ok?
I would wait until he's able to walk around pretty well, so he doesn't get left behind when the rest get off the nest for food & water.

I would probably stick him under at night, but some people do it in the daytime.

At night, the hen & chick have time to make peeps and clucks and get used to each other's sounds before she sees the chick, so I think it's more likely to be successful. (Not much more likely, but I think a little more likely.)

In the daytime, you can watch what happens, and you can rescue the chick if the hen rejects it. This might have a better chance of keeping the chick alive, as compared to doing it at night.

For most hens, day or night probably doesn't matter very much.

I would wait until he's able to walk around pretty well, so he doesn't get left behind when the rest get off the nest for food & water.

I would probably stick him under at night, but some people do it in the daytime.

At night, the hen & chick have time to make peeps and clucks and get used to each other's sounds before she sees the chick, so I think it's more likely to be successful. (Not much more likely, but I think a little more likely.)

In the daytime, you can watch what happens, and you can rescue the chick if the hen rejects it. This might have a better chance of keeping the chick alive, as compared to doing it at night.

For most hens, day or night probably doesn't matter very much.
Right, the rejection has been my concern from the start. I'm going to wait to make sure the chick is good to go before trying to integrate. If she rejects the chick when can I try to integrate the chick into the flock?

If she rejects the chick when can I try to integrate the chick into the flock?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/

Here's an article that talks about raising chicks with an in-coop brooder, and allowing them to mingle with the flock starting at a few weeks old (but with chick-sized openings, so the chicks can go in & out of the brooder, but the big chickens cannot get into the brooder.)

If you do have to raise this chick in a brooder, you might swipe one chick from the hen to raise with it, so it's not completely alone in the brooder and when being integrated with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom