Unexpected!! ...surprised!

FLITZ

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Well. its my first time hatching ever. Someone gave me 60 eggs. they didn't know if they were fertile. Wasn't even sure if they were handled correctly. The eggs are from pullets that just started laying about a month ago

They are staying with me for a few weeks. I work long shifts, and when I got home it was over 80 in the house. It made my incubators temp go to around 104!! I'm having problems keeping a steady temp because they just wont stop making it cold or hot in the house!.... I just figured well.. all is lost and will just use it as a learning experience. for the first day or so my humidity was up around 60 now its down to around 39-42. I'm thinking given a day or so it will still go down a bit.

Its day 4 and I have brown eggs. I've never candled before I was going off the pictures in posts here on what to look for.. I checked 5 or 6 eggs and was only able to see a large dark spot that i assume is the yolk. THEN!! the next two Eggs ...the second the light was put on it...THERE IT WAS!!!! what appeared to be blood veins and maybe even a tiny dark spot! after two eggs in a row like this I put the ones i had out back in and closed up things... MAYBE maybe i'll get lucky.. and something will hatch in 17 days from now!
I'll just be happy to have a couple or even a few hatch. I'm not greedy.. I just don't want a total failure..Wish me luck.

Is it silly to get excited about this...I'm not a child...but ...i have to admit the second that light shined thru the egg and I saw the veins I was a bit excited.. I started to expect a total failure...now maybe ..just maybe something will hatch...

then again..maybe i don't know what i was looking at and there is nothing there at all..LOL

I know what you mean on feeling excited. Tomorrow we start on converting an area in the greenhouse for some chicks we will get the end of this week. These will be my first chickens and im super excited to start.
Good luck with your eggs , I hope you get a few healthy chicks!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom