Unfortunately, I think I have to cull my entire flock

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

The roo I mentioned earlier is definitely much better, crowing now & roaming around with the rest of the flock. Another roo that was looking pretty bad Tuesday is much better today. Two hens that had one eye closed and COMPLETELY snot-covered beaks seem to be recovering. Whatever it is, they seem to be getting over it.

Starts out with sneezing/head shaking, next day really bad with LOTS of snot around the beak and one eye closed, day 3 they seem to be getting better.

I guess this rules out ILT, I think if that were the case I'd have a few dead ones by now?

I'm going to hang on to the eggs I've been collecting for the 'bater for another day (they'll be a week old Sunday) just in case, but I seem to be coming out of the woods!

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
I'm so pleased to hear this, and thanks for letting us know.
I've been watching your thread, but without enough experience to offer anything...
cool.png

Hello,

You can also speak to Dr Scott Beyer. I met him at a local poultry show in Hutchinson when he was teaching a class on testing for NPIP.

He is a really nice guy and KNOWS his stuff.

Dr. Scott Beyer, 130 Call Hall, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506-1600 (785) 532-1201.

I would be interested to know the outcome of this. I'm going through the same thing with mine. Wednesday we took the worst one to the vet. He said she wouldn't make it another 24-48 hours and put everyone on antibiotics in their water. Thursday we took her back. He euthanized her and sent samples to the lab. All of the birds have it now but I haven't lost any yet. I was ready to cull the flock today but he called back last night and said to hold off. He sent the samples to the state dept of pathology for further testing and we are hoping to have the results back late Monday. The bacteria cultured from her lungs was normal which is why they want to do further testing. Could possibly be viral.

For as sick as they are, they are still eating and drinking ok. The rooster still tries to do his "rooster thing" even though he's coughing and sneezing. I'm going to do a search on ILT now and read some more info.

hi all,
been following this also, i have 2 amerricana girls, raised here in with 4 other sister girls & big daddy ben ( a little bantey rooster)
the 2 girls have been sneezing and are very congested for a few weeks now i live in ohio so i thought it was just a cold since the weather hasn't been any better here than anywhere else. i'm not sure what this disease is but i since it doesn't exacl;y sound the same but i was hoping that someone might have some advise?
i hope the best for all of you ! i'm glad your chickens are doing better.

When I took mine in Wednesday, they only charged me for the antibiotics and the fecal exam. We took her back Thursday and they euthanized her and did the necropsy for free. I have to pay for the lab, but the vet is paying to express the samples to the state pathology department out of his own pocket. I will probably have to pay their lab fees but it will be worth it if I can save them all. This is the first time I've been to this vet clinic so I feel very blessed. The dr also has chickens so he understands.

Im so sorry you had to deal with this. You did everything right as far as quarantining your new birds. One great trick I have learned from this site is that of the sacrificial roo.

Your new birds may not have shown any symptoms but, as you found out, that doesn't mean they aren't carriers of something nasty. After that 3 weeks, add one of the birds from your existing flock to your new and wait another week or so for sickness to appear. That may have prevented this. I know its not much help now
sad.png
but it may be in the future.

I agree with Speckled hen, and that I would cull all of the birds unless you never plan on introducing any more new birds to your flock... EVER

Good Luck with whatever road you choose
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom