Ungrateful egg recievers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by choopes, Oct 13, 2013.

1. choopes

choopes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    my farm South Alabama
    I have 8 hens, a roo, and a goose I have raised since babies, and have hatched a few of my own. My experiment to see if I can produce eggs was successful. I give away eggs. Lately I just fed straight cracked corn to cut down on egg production. Only getting 1 or 2 a day, where as with laying mash I would somedays get as many as 6-8. The real problem is the stirafoam egg cartons. I give folks my eggs, but ask that they return the carton. no one ever does, except my mom.
    I thought about trying to sell a few, but because I havn't bought eggs in the store for years now, I have no cartons. Any thoughts or ideas on how the rest of yall deal with this problem?
    Thanks!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If they cannot 'remember' to bring back the cartons charge them an extra 50 cents. That is how much you will have to pay for the carton at TSC to replace it.

3. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I sell my eggs for $2.00 a dozen and I tell my friends/customers that I need my egg cartons back or I will have to charge more. Since you do not charge for your egg you could tell them you will have to start charging if the egg cartons are not returned. Egg cartons do get soiled or ripped so I go to the local coop it is an organic store that has a recycle bin for egg cartons that is free for the taking.

4. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

I also sell my egg for $2.00 a dozen, plus carton if they don't bring carton with them. I only charge .25 cents for the carton seeing how they are used. I have a deal with the country store near me where they cook breakfast to save there cartons for me. The owner does not buy eggs from me for his store but I give him some occasionally for his home use.

Make the people who you give eggs to bring there own cartons.[​IMG]

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I have never (and never will) charge for cartons. Many folks know we keep chickens, and pass on their egg cartons for our use. We do not offer them anything for them, they are usually just happy to know they will be reused. Any that are in bad condition we dispose of.

Feeding large amounts of corn will unbalance your birds' diet, and as you have found decrease egg production. It is too high in fat and not balanced to support egg production. If you need to economize, you might want to consider reducing the number of birds you keep, and feeding them a better diet.

1 person likes this.
  6. MamaDoodle

MamaDoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Tennessee
    My Coop
    My eggs all go to close friends and family once a month, and I take it all right to them so they go in the fridge and I keep my carton or bucket. However, I realize this is not possible for everyone. So, I suppose I would try:

A) Charge a very small fee if no carton is returned.

B) Stop giving them eggs.

C) Tell them to come prepared when they get eggs, so they can carry their own.

You'll know what will end up working best for you. Good luck! :)

7. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    I would say if they want them, they can bring their own egg cartons and you will fill them.

8. choopes

choopes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    my farm South Alabama
    I started back with 2 to 1, laying mash and cracked corn. They didn't seem to like straight corn. Not actually eating all of it.
    Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. We don't have a co-op, but I should get out and talk to more people.
    Most folks don't think it thru. Cartons come with the eggs they get at the store, at least from their perspective.
    Thanks again.

9. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    A while back I needed egg cartons so I put an ad on Craigslist. I included my address to make it easy for people to drop then off without playing phone tag...I took down the add after the first stack of a dozen or so carton showed up but got at least 100 more cartons over the next two days. It's been three months ans every now and then I find a new stack someone left on the porch.

My advice?
    If you need egg cartons Do put an add on Craigslist or freecycle but DON'T put your address in the add!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I can't help it - [​IMG]

What great advice!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by