Unhappy Chicks at Night

mamahennorth

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2020
Hello Everyone

I have two normally very happy 6 week old cockerels. The spend the day outside in a pen/run, and then I've been bringing them inside into their brooder box where they grew up, as I think they're still too little to spend the night outside.

The go from being happy, to screaming at me within minutes of being put into their box. The heat plate is off, so its not too hot, and its not too cold either. Could they be afraid of the dark maybe? Or are they just annoyed I've brought them inside from their nice spacious outdoor pen? They settle down within a few minutes, but it is heartbreaking!

Should I be brave and let them spend the nights outside now? Are they unhappy to be back inside? Or am I missing something?

First video (happy chicks) is taken 5 minutes before the second video (unhappy chicks).

I'd love some advice please!

Attachments

• IMG_8734.MOV.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8736.MOV.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
Probably upset for being out in a smaller area. If they are mostly feathered they should be fine depending on your climate. Anyway to put a heat lamp in their area at night? Let them use it if they need to?

My chickens do the same for 5 - 30 minutes. Chickens can’t see in the dark, at least that’s what I’ve heard. I’m pretty sure it’s them just settling down and communicating since they can’t see anything. With the heat plate, does it give off any light? If it does then they probably have never been used to the dark and always have had a light source from somewhere. I say it’s normal and they’re just adjusting

What are your temperatures at night? You said it's not cold, so they should be staying outside. Unless it's below freezing, really no reason for 6 week olds to be spending the night inside your house.

First video (happy chicks) is taken 5 minutes before the second video (unhappy chicks).
Please upload your vids to youtube, or similar platform, then link here.

Unless it's below freezing, really no reason for 6 week olds to be spending the night inside your house.
Ditto Dat!

Welcome to BYC! @mamahennorth
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1591911438394.png

Back
Top Bottom