Unhappy Neighbors -What to do about our cat.

When he was an indoor cat he did really well with his litter box until my daugther was born. He started peeing all over the place, no UTI either. We gave him two months of keeping the litter box immaculate and it was in a VERY private place before, it our office and the box itself was inside a larger modified shipping crate so that our dogs wouldn't get into the litter box. He had his chance to stop and he failed. My husband will NOT allow him back inside.

Thanks for understanding your neighbor's position, and being amiable. I have a few friends who spend a lot of time, money, and attachment preparing their yards to attract native birds (whose populations are in decline). Cats coming into their properties definitely bug them, and I understand that too. Most people don't like other people's pets roaming around their yards, no matter the species or their reasons. Rehoming to an outdoor cat friendly environment (ie. barn cat) would probably be the best option, but many do keep their cats in outdoor runs and houses. Some let outdoor cats in for interaction with the family during the day when it is unlikely to cause any accidents, but keep them outside in a run at other times. Concerns would be that some cats are unhappy with this set-up and will howl nonstop. I would not bring a cat who is not using it's litter box to the shelter personally (unless you are sure they would state that your cat does not use his litterbox), and would fully disclose this to any new home. The two types of animals I have seen that lead to abuse from people who might not otherwise abuse animals are animals showing aggression and animals who pee around the house. A lot of cats also stop using their litter box during a stressful event or large change (ie. new baby), but go back to using their box after adjusting, especially if encouraged with methods such as limiting the cat's living quarters to a bathroom or other small, easy to clean area, praising and offering treats every time you see your cat int he box, etc. It sounds like your cat was having a territorial adjustment with the new baby, and he may either be fine indoors now, or possibly be fine in a new home. But, I had a male cat who never would use his box or stop spraying even after trying everything we could think of for years with him. He ended up going to a lady's cat sanctuary for older animals, and seemed to do great there. That said, if you can't re-arrange the yard for him, get him using his box again, or find a good home or facility geared towards a cat with his litter box habits, I would personally consider euthanasia at that point. I just don't see a shelter situation working out happily for him even if he was adopted.

I can certainly understand the neighbor's frustration on this one, but I commend you for really hearing her out and diffusing the situtaion. You ARE a good neighbor. Would a run be acceptable for your cat? He would be safe, outside and still YOURS as you do like him. I have even seen cats trained to be tied on long lines.....

There are also several rescues/shelters around here who specialize in finding homes for barn cats. Maybe you could find one in your area to contact who could find a home for him?

a covered run with a nice warm hidey spot (dog house ect) would be the perfect solution to this, you get to keep him, he doenst have to get used to a new home and new people, but you dont have to worry about being in the house or bothering the neighbors.
add platforms for him to climb and sit on (kinda like a kitty sun porch)

hes a big beutiful boy but i can definatly see whaere your neighbor is comming from, and thank you for beng so understanding, nothing worse even for cat owners than walking out to get your mail and standing in cat poop, or digging in your flower beds to find half your plants scalded by cat urine...or sticking your hand in cat poop.
and cat poop is dangerous to children, those with weakend immune systems and pregnant women too so there are health concerns too.

i hope a good solution can be found to keep eveyrone happy
smile.png

I've seen quite a few people make their cats an outdoor kennel area, when they fail at litterbox training but cant be loose outside.
Something similar to this.

catcage13.jpg

cat_enclosure_jan.jpg

catsenc..jpg

I do like the outdoor run idea....and we do have a large backyard. But currently with two large shops two large rabbit hutches and plans for a dog kennel or two it won't really work for us. Our space is taken for the most part. I have had some interest on an Ad on Craigs list this afternoon. One person lives about 40 miles from me and she says she has a horse barn and is looking for a couple good barn cats.

Quote:
now this might work! My husband is taking a trip to Oregon Coast/Florence next month. Would you be willing to meet him some place?

Your kitty is so round and "house cat looking" I don't know how happy he'd be as a real barn cat! I've got a small colony of fixed ferals up in WA from South County Cats and they look, act, hunt, and live like ferals. They come eat their rations when nobody is looking and you have to try and trap them for any medical care.

Good luck with the big guy!

Back
Top Bottom