Unhappy with Speckled Sussex - Looking for a different breed

Recommend against the Brahma. Contra to the experience of the other poster, I've found my predator aware, very attractive Dark Brahma to be VERY slow growers, mostly feathers, producing only medium large eggs. Not usually large, definitely not extra large. I just culled two last week, age almost a year (both hens), they made excellent sausage, and had a good amount (actually, a LOT) of subcutaneous fat, though they (the whole flock, actually) are free-rangers, so its not evidence they were starved into lower weight. Both were under 6# live weight, and yielded about 3.5# of carcass and meat.

Love my Comets for egg size and consistency - lg to sometimes xl, almost every damned day. At a year old, they have live weights around 5.2-5.6# each. They were egg-laying machines by four months at around 3.5# each, and have continued to put on weight steadily since, but seem to have plateaued.

My SLWs bulked up and started laying fast, around three days out of five, good alertness, chonky little beasts, but again, medium eggs.

Honestly, it seems to me that you can have a bird that makes a lot of large eggs early. or you can have a bird that puts on a ton of weight early. Or you can have a decent dual-purpose that starts between 18-24 weeks producing md-lg eggs more often than not, and hitting 5.5-6# at 5 months +/- from a host of birds. But as soon as you start pushing that weight gain towards a 3-4 month range, or the egg size to XL on 4 days of 5, or both, you just won't find a breed that does that consistently. If one did, it would dominate the market. i.e. SexLinks with very large, frequent, early eggs but relatively light early body weights (like the comet) or meaty CornishX with huge weight gain early, but slow to lay and infrequent when they get there (great egg size though - I'm using one for breeding myself, as I couldn't get the parent stock last year when we were all beggers, not choosers, at the local farm store).

Your wish list sets a very high bar. Might want to re-evaluate what is most important to you. Egg Size, Egg Frequency, Meat Production. Giving on one of those factors somewhat might make finding the other two a bit easier.

There have been efforts to breed up meat production in some of the dual purposes, and a few breeders with success in that area, but in the main, what most of us get from commercial hatcheries are lines that have emphasized egg production for years, if not decades. The CornishX really encouraged a focus on something other than meat production in many dual purpose birds - they just couldn't compete.

Last edited:
Recommend against the Brahma. Contra to the experience of the other poster, I've found my predator aware, very attractive Dark Brahma to be VERY slow growers, mostly feathers, producing only medium large eggs. Not usually large, definitely not extra large. I just culled two last week, age almost a year (both hens), they made excellent sausage, and had a good amount (actually, a LOT) of subcutaneous fat, though they (the whole flock, actually) are free-rangers, so its not evidence they were starved into lower weight. Both were under 6# live weight, and yielded about 3.5# of carcass and meat.

Love my Comets for egg size and consistency - lg to sometimes xl, almost every damned day. At a year old, they have live weights around 5.2-5.6# each. They were egg-laying machines by four months at around 3.5# each, and have continued to put on weight steadily since, but seem to have plateaued.

My SLWs bulked up and started laying fast, around three days out of five, good alertness, chonky little beasts, but again, medium eggs.

Honestly, it seems to me that you can have a bird that makes a lot of large eggs early. or you can have a bird that puts on a ton of weight early. Or you can have a decent dual-purpose that starts between 18-24 weeks producing md-lg eggs more often than not, and hitting 5.5-6# at 5 months +/- from a host of birds. But as soon as you start pushing that weight gain towards a 3-4 month range, or the egg size to XL on 4 days of 5, you just won't find a breed that does that consistently. If one did, it would dominate the market.

Your wish list sets a very high bar. Might want to re-evaluate what is most important to you. Egg Size, Egg Frequency, Meat Production. Giving on one of those factors somewhat might make finding the other two a bit easier.

There have been efforts to breed up meat production in some of the dual purposes, and a few breeders with success in that area, but in the main, what most of us get from commercial hatcheries are lines that have emphasized egg production for years, if not decades. The CornishX really encouraged a focus on something other than meat production aside in many dual purpose birds - they just couldn't compete.
Egg size/production is very much the most important factor. Bird size is 100% secondary. I would also put broodiness above bird size, but below egg stuff.

Egg size/production is very much the most important factor. Bird size is 100% secondary. I would also put broodiness above bird size, but below egg stuff.
Then in my experience, the sex link hybrids are likely your best bets. LOTS of early eggs, of very good size relative to body weight. None of mine have gone broody, its not something emphasized in the hybrids. and that basically ends my experience.

If you are looking to breed your own replacements, one of the posters more experienced with dual purpose true breeds will no doubt step in with an early maturing, high frequency, large egg bird now that we have better idea of what fills your bill.

/edit from the charts, not personal experience, consider the Delaware. Frequent large eggs, early maturity, good size, some broodiness - and of course an actual breed, so you can grow your own replacements. New Hampshires and Rhode Islands, too. Less the Leghorns - you know, the root stock used to craft those sex link hybrids. Its a good place to start from.

I did get nice eggs from a Delaware- and nice size. But for the most part I found it true that dual purpose, was not real good for meat, and not real good for eggs.

But I too started with the idea of dual purpose birds. I have since gone to meat birds, and layer birds. Not only do I want eggs, but I want high quality eggs, and not all eggs are high quality. I want thick whites that hold together while poaching.

And while I have eaten a lot of home grown chicken, I find that I like laying birds and roosters for soups and casseroles, but for chicken, I want my meat bird. So I do both.

I find a dozen meats, keeps me in enough chicken, and home canned chicken broth for about a year.

If you want to raise eggs - get egg laying breeds, the sex link, cinnamon queens, the leghorns. Throw in a couple of BO, mine have generally been willing to raise a brood for me. And a pen of meat birds.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom