Unhappy with Speckled Sussex - Looking for a different breed

lukkyseven

Songster
Sep 13, 2018
Maryland
So I wanted to go the route of the Speckled Sussex because they are touted as a dual purpose bird. After not being able to find a good hatchery, I took a chance from multiple and sorted the best I could. Turns out I have small birds that lay small eggs. Are they beautiful? Yes, but I don't care.

I am looking for a breed that lays at a minimum of XL (63g) eggs fairly consistently, gets large enough to eat (I cull my roosters for stock/soup) and is not expensive. I am not into rare breeds as I have too many predators and I like to be able to easily replace stock as needed. I live in Maryland and have semi cold winters w/ hot summers. So region specific would be even more ideal.

I'm currently leaning Barred Rock or Orpingtons, but I am tired of reading false narratives on the internet. I would like some commentary from you wonderful people.

Thanks in advance

So I wanted to go the route of the Speckled Sussex because they are touted as a dual purpose bird. After not being able to find a good hatchery, I took a chance from multiple and sorted the best I could. Turns out I have small birds that lay small eggs. Are they beautiful? Yes, but I don't care.

I am looking for a breed that lays at a minimum of XL (63g) eggs fairly consistently, gets large enough to eat (I cull my roosters for stock/soup) and is not expensive. I am not into rare breeds as I have too many predators and I like to be able to easily replace stock as needed. I live in Maryland and have semi cold winters w/ hot summers. So region specific would be even more ideal.

I'm currently leaning Barred Rock or Orpingtons, but I am tired of reading false narratives on the internet. I would like some commentary from you wonderful people.

Thanks in advance
I recommend white leghorns. I have a leghorn myself and she lays pretty big eggs. The yolk is also large too and she lays practically EVERY SINGLE day but she is sort of skittish. They are also are known to eat less than a regular chicken so chicken feed will last a little longer. The eggs are also white but please don't think that white eggs are less healthy than brown eggs because it's not true both are the same thing the only difference is the egg shell color. I also recommend ISA browns because they lay A LOT too and are very kind and loving if you raised from a young age I can confirm this because I have them myself also and they lay brown eggs.

My white leghorn lays wonderful, huge eggs, but they're slimmer than most breeds. I'd say that Rhode Island Reds or Red Sex Links are your best bet- they both have the egg capabilities that are close to a leghorn's, and they're much meatier. RIR roosters are known for being aggressive, however, so I'd get RSLs. Delawares are also good for meat, but I don't know about their egg laying.

I recommend white leghorns. I have a leghorn myself and she lays pretty big eggs. The yolk is also large too and she lays practically EVERY SINGLE day but she is sort of skittish. They are also are known to eat less than a regular chicken so chicken feed will last a little longer. The eggs are also white but please don't think that white eggs are less healthy than brown eggs because it's not true both are the same thing the only difference is the egg shell color. I also recommend ISA browns because they lay A LOT too and are very kind and loving if you raised from a young age I can confirm this because I have them myself also and they lay brown eggs.
same

I love my leghorn and golden comets (also known as sexlinks). They lay mostly everyday and eggs are large. Especially the comet’s eggs. Comets are not super big, but definitely standard sized. Leghorns are a bit smaller

My white leghorn lays wonderful, huge eggs, but they're slimmer than most breeds. I'd say that Rhode Island Reds or Red Sex Links are your best bet- they both have the egg capabilities that are close to a leghorn's, and they're much meatier. RIR roosters are known for being aggressive, however, so I'd get RSLs. Delawares are also good for meat, but I don't know about their egg laying.
My Delaware is a great layer! She’s also huge 😂🤣 but she can be pretty loud so that’s something to consider hahah but yeah I agree on all these breeds! I love my Leghorn but they might be too scrawny since OP is wanting meat too.

our deleware is A great layer and grows to a large size I would recomend.

One of my Easter Eggers also used to lay MASSIVE eggs and consistent double yolkers which was awesome haha but she’s older now so doesn’t lay as my much and also my two other EEs laid smaller eggs. Not tiny like the SS though, they’re good size, just not HUGE like hers. So it can be hit or miss with them.

One of my Easter Eggers also used to lay MASSIVE eggs and consistent double yolkers which was awesome haha but she’s older now so doesn’t lay as my much and also my two other EEs laid smaller eggs. Not tiny like the SS though, they’re good size, just not HUGE like hers. So it can be hit or miss with them.
how old is she? just wondering because I want to know if my EE is up to par.

Back
Top Bottom