Unhatched chicks/ducklings and chirping

OK, I peeled back more of the shell and found where he has pipped through the membrane. The membrane is definitely dark yellow and there's a noticeable gap between the membrane and the outer shell.

Trying to show the yellow membrane -
View attachment 3549753

Do you have a salt tested hygrometer in the incubator? I'd get humidity as high as possible. I do still see some veining there so you've probably got at least a few hours before he's ready.

Well none of my eggs are close enough to show a clear pocket yet, and my phone take bad pics in the dark so this is the best I could do. 😅
Here's a pic to show the pocket area I just took. It's the pointy end of the egg. Sometimes it's hard to find. I try to use an actual candler or a small flashlight.
IMG_20230620_150748881.jpg

Though it's a terrible pic you can still see the dark yellow of the yolk and veins.

I snapped this pic of a hatched egg actually, but it's the same sort of thing. The duckling just hatched an hour ago so the shell is still pretty moist and accurate.
IMG_20230620_150841236.jpg

See how there's that light yellow color and no veins? Just some stringy broken veins that are no longer active. That is how it'll look in the pointy end when it's ready. I'll keep watching my eggs and try to catch one right before hatch.

Do you have a salt tested hygrometer in the incubator? I'd get humidity as high as possible. I do still see some veining there so you've probably got at least a few hours before he's ready.
When I candled last night, I did candle both ends and noticed he seemed squished against the air cell end with tons of room on the pointy end. Good to know that's normal!

And yes, there's definitely still a few veins which is why I was very hesitant to assist any further after I caused a very small tear with a minor bleed yesterday. It stopped bleeding almost immediately thankfully.

As for his size, he likely is a hybrid. I have several different breeds -

2 Pekin hens
1 Silver Appleyard Drake
1 Silver Appleyard Hen
1 Welsh Harlequin Drake
3 Welsh Harlequin Hens

Naturally I have no clue whose egg it is. It seems a little on the small to average size so I'm speculating it's from a Welsh Harlequin hen but it's really a toss-up. 🤷

Were you able to see how yellow the membrane is now? It's like clear cellophane. I've tried to be careful not to put too much oil on it but still keep it moist. Humidity is currently at 78%.

Well none of my eggs are close enough to show a clear pocket yet, and my phone take bad pics in the dark so this is the best I could do. 😅
Here's a pic to show the pocket area I just took. It's the pointy end of the egg. Sometimes it's hard to find. I try to use an actual candler or a small flashlight. View attachment 3549797
Though it's a terrible pic you can still see the dark yellow of the yolk and veins.

I snapped this pic of a hatched egg actually, but it's the same sort of thing. The duckling just hatched an hour ago so the shell is still pretty moist and accurate. View attachment 3549798
See how there's that light yellow color and no veins? Just some stringy broken veins that are no longer active. That is how it'll look in the pointy end when it's ready. I'll keep watching my eggs and try to catch one right before hatch.
I candled the pointy end. DEFINITELY a lot of blood vessels that haven't been absorbed yet... I'm doing my best to keep the membrane moist and humidity is at 80% right now.

20230620_222122.jpg

I candled the pointy end. DEFINITELY a lot of blood vessels that haven't been absorbed yet... I'm doing my best to keep the membrane moist and humidity is at 80% right now.

View attachment 3550312
Oh wow, yeah definitely not ready. Your pic is so much better than mine, lol. If you catch an egg zipping at some point you should try to candle the pointy end, it's really interesting. It'll be totally clear besides maybe some wastes. 80% is perfect. For eggs that are being assisted I usually try to keep it as high as possible.

You may want to check on it overnight to make sure he isn't ready yet. If they're assisted much at all they have a hard time getting leverage and hatching on their own most times.

@MGG

The little fella turned this morning while I was on a conference call. I'm assuming I should assist since he seems stuck in the open shell?

Yup, he looks ready! Definitely trying to get out.
Nm... I minimally assisted since he was committed to coming out that little hole and got stuck. I broke away a few spots around the edge where he was stuck and he pushed his way out! 😍

View attachment 3550834
Awww awesome!!! Congrats! He looks good! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom