Unintended integration

MenachemEliyahu

Chirping
Nov 22, 2020
Florida
I was planning to give my chicks more room in the brooder when they discovered that they could escape in to the run from a break they made through the green mesh I used to keep them separate from the hens.

So far they’re behaving, but I lost one chick to the hens already so I’m keeping an eye on them.

Just a thought though, is there a difference in behavior when the new flock outnumber the existing flock?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 10
Yes, if the youngsters out number the older birds, that is helpful. Do make sure that in the run, there are safe zones, such as a pallet just up off the ground, or hideouts. But if they are getting out, they are telling you, they are ready.

Mrs K
Thank you. I was caught flat footed because I wasn’t planning to integrate them for another few weeks. So far they’ve been adjusting. Last night I checked on them and they were all in the a-frame. I put some obstacles in the run to allow the chicks to run through but to slow down the hens. I hope to get pallets soon so I can build new nest boxes and give more hiding places for the birds.

lost one chick to the hens already
So they killed it? I will be doing this in a few weeks and a bit nervous being my first time.

I have a run/coop area adjacent to where the hens are (so they can get acquainted a bit better) and while putting the 6 weeks old pullets in their run, one jumped out of the box and was briefly mixed in with the hens. My one buff went after it and pecked her a few times. I know this is pretty normal but it's a little disturbing to see for one my buff (Elsa) is a super sweet hen and two I know this is going to happen to these 2 super sweet speckled sussex's. I know it's going to happen, hope they go easy on them.

So they killed it? I will be doing this in a few weeks and a bit nervous being my first time.

I have a run/coop area adjacent to where the hens are (so they can get acquainted a bit better) and while putting the 6 weeks old pullets in their run, one jumped out of the box and was briefly mixed in with the hens. My one buff went after it and pecked her a few times. I know this is pretty normal but it's a little disturbing to see for one my buff (Elsa) is a super sweet hen and two I know this is going to happen to these 2 super sweet speckled sussex's. I know it's going to happen, hope they go easy on them.
Yes, the chicks were in their third week when one of them jumped into the run.

Now they are in their fifth week. I was working outside yesterday so I was keeping an eye on them. Today I still pop out to check on them but during the heat of the day the hens seek shade under the brooder and the chicks in the a-frame.

Yes, the chicks were in their third week when one of them jumped into the run.

Now they are in their fifth week. I was working outside yesterday so I was keeping an eye on them. Today I still pop out to check on them but during the heat of the day the hens seek shade under the brooder and the chicks in the a-frame.

So sorry to hear that.........:(

My flock loves eating young chicks. Why I don't allow broodies to hatch in the coop. First time I tried hatching in there I only got 2 chicks out of the 12 due to the dinosaurs eating the rest. Now I don't allow youngsters in with them until they are at least fully feathered.

My 2 pullets will be 7 weeks on friday, saturday they go into the adjacent run next to the big girls for at least 2 weeks before I fully integrate them. I plan on putting more obstacles in as well.

Back
Top Bottom