Unique Coturnix quail Colors

syble

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
michigan
Looks like I've got quite the mix in this hatch! They were supposed to be charcoals and silvers (which means that I could also have browns and british range), but it looks like I got some others/other patterns lol.

I guess i'll be using this thread to update and track the way these guys feather out. From about 19 or 20 chicks, there are maybe 2 per color/pattern.

i'm hoping there are blues, silvers and charcoals in there time will tell, its a good thing coturnix grow so fast lol.

Looks like I've got quite the mix in this hatch! They were supposed to be charcoals and silvers (which means that I could also have browns and british range), but it looks like I got some others/other patterns lol.

I guess i'll be using this thread to update and track the way these guys feather out. From about 19 or 20 chicks, there are maybe 2 per color/pattern.

i'm hoping there are blues, silvers and charcoals in there time will tell, its a good thing coturnix grow so fast lol.
WOW...nice chicks...yes looks like you got silvers...I've been trying to get silver Coturnix for many many years...great job on finding them....they are rare in the states...PLEASE take pics and keep us posted on the progess and the plumage as it develops....CONGRADS....

I had a silver and a blue last year from a batch of eggs, but when they were chicks they didn't look like these guys lol, so i'm interested to see how they turn out... I should say nothing like them, the silver was yellow so those 2 yellowish ones could be some? we'll see, I do plan to take photos regularly though!

so heres a question, I've tried to get it answered before, but how many colors are there out there? I keep hearing different names for the same color too, maybe we can sort that here?

Looks like a great place for names and colors.....
I've been trying to create a list of all possible names that people have given to Coturnix - Japanese Quail over the years...let's make a list here...
After we create a list of all the names known we will then match them to pics I have complied over the years and pics others have....then we can compare them both to historical names we have found ....This is all to try and find the true given name of a color or the possible call name developed over the years....as the list develops we can compile the names and make a updated list for everybody to see all the differences....then we can post all of the pics and we can match the names to the colors....Understand there will be many people with differences of reasons why they call certain colors different names...having all the names in one place we can match multiple names to pictures and try to figure out the call names of each color....
in different areas....

lets start with the most common names....

Wild type
Pharaoh
Pharoah
Pharaoh XL
Pharaoh XLD
Pharaoh XLD-1
Jumbo Pharaoh
Jumbo Brown
AM Jumbo Brown
American Pharaoh
Pharaoh Tuxedo

just add any names you'll know or use.....

blue
charcoal
A&M white
Panda
jumo gold
Manchrian
Speckled Italin

But do some of those really count as colors or just specific strains of the same color?

your right on that though...lets try to list all know colors with the help of other members also...
some are just a breeder line developed off a certain type...
once we have a complete list we can seperate name by color then by type....

Tibetan
Tibetan Tuxedo
Range Tuxedo
Rosetta Tuxedo
British Range

dark range
red range
brown tuxedos
wild tuxedos
golden tuxedos
silver tux
charcoal tux
blue tux
Roux Dillute
Pied (every color I'm lazy lol)

It going to come down to lines for some of those, others like tux and pandas are pattern based... you can have tuxedos and Pieds of every color lol.

Back
Top Bottom