United chicks and chickens

Sep 15, 2021
Iowa
Hello it is day 3 of my chickens uniting with little chickens they are sharing a coop and getting along great....except I dont know why my young chickens wont roost is that normal?

How young are your young chickens? Chicks don't start roosting until about 4 to 6 weeks of age as momma shows them. If they are younger than 6 weeks, they probably still want the nest.

It is also a sign of dominance. The big girls will claim the roosts. The littler ones will have to work their way up to the roosts, which can cause some chicken drama until things settle. This usually settles as the little ones get more the size of the older ones.

LofMc

How young are your young chickens? Chicks don't start roosting until about 4 to 6 weeks of age as momma shows them. If they are younger than 6 weeks, they probably still want the nest.

It is also a sign of dominance. The big girls will claim the roosts. The littler ones will have to work their way up to the roosts, which can cause some chicken drama until things settle. This usually settles as the little ones get more the size of the older ones.

LofMc
There about 10 weeks but have been sharing a yard since day 7 just seprate coops

Back
Top Bottom