unknown breed hatched from grocery eggs

kv1211

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Hi, new to raising 4 chicks here. About 1 week old
My brother found these bad boys hatched from grocery eggs! However, I don't know what breed it is. Hopefully it isn't a cornish rock because I want to raise these for a while longer. I was wondering some people here in the forum know what type of chicks these are
012.jpg

011.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

001-1.jpg

sorry if pics are to blurry.

If my brother remembers correctly, the eggs were yellow

Edit: iunno but it was intended to be eaten lol

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually it is true. Some Egg farmers Have free range chickens, and then just about all of them are cooped in 1 x 2 foot pens. And just about all egg farms have roosters somewhere. People make mistakes, a lot of mistakes, when sexing these egg laying chicks. Most free range farmers have fertilized hens with unknown roosters. Same gos for meat farmers, they say that all of those chickens in those chicken houses are hens, when half of them are roosters. You'd be surprised, I had rescued some late bloomer meat chickens that they would have wacked in the head with a stick, had about 25. 13 ended up being roosters!

What do you mean by grocery eggs? That you bought them from the grocery store, or did you buy them from someone that has chickens? I don't believe its possible for eggs to be yellow...... Could it be a pinkish brown color that he mistook for yellow? Because some of those look like production reds....

yes, i think my brother made a mistake on remember the egg colour. he just found these eggs hatched because he left them outside his fridge and gave them to me because I have a bigger land that the chicks can grow on.
btw, what is production red?

Generally, yellow down means white adult birds. Not a Meatie, they are processed before they get old enough to lay eggs, most likely the eggs were a tan color, so you'd look for a white feathered tan egg laying chicken. So feed them, but be aware some could be a rooster, so if you can't have a roo (in city limits, or whatever) you may need a plan B there.

Quite a few brands of "healthy" eggs (the ones that are free-ranged, pastured, heritage) have a flock with a roo, traders joes and other health food markets carry them.

Back
Top Bottom