Unknown chicken might've brought something into our flock

chiki1

Chirping
Jan 6, 2022
Yesterday morning at around 10 I found a chicken that passed away inside our coop. She seemed to be an almost full-grown or full-grown light Brahma chicken, but our full-grown Brahma was right next to me at the time. Later that evening I confirmed that 4 of our baby Brahmas with the same coloration were still alive and happy. Multiple families that live near us also have chickens, so we thought one of theirs had made its way into our coop. We hadn't really thought about the possibility that the chicken had a disease until today. Yesterday, we found one of our roosters passed away next to a pool inside the fencing. He seemed to have died peacefully in his sleep about an hour prior to finding him. Today, I found a hen sleeping by one of the fences. She looked dead and only responded to touch by opening her eyes but didn't try to move away. I'm currently next to her and have gotten some water into her system. She seems to have a bit more energy than before. The rooster and the hen look the same condition-wise. Their face is turning dark red/black from where it was previously bright red, the tip of their combs are almost black, feet curled up under them, etc. We haven't really had any diseases in our eldest chickens and ducks for a while now, so I'm thinking the chicken that got into the coop spread something

Pictures of the ill bird?

Any facial swelling, or hemorrhaging of the legs/feet? Discoloration of the comb, & wattles can be a symptom of bird flu, which is going around.

Pictures of the ill bird?

Any facial swelling, or hemorrhaging of the legs/feet? Discoloration of the comb, & wattles can be a symptom of bird flu, which is going around.
her eyes are swelling a bit but she can open them. there are also tons of little bugs that seem to be crawling off of her, which we just noticed.
Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.20.57 AM.png

her eyes are swelling a bit but she can open them. there are also tons of little bugs that seem to be crawling off of her, which we just noticed.View attachment 3139569
The bugs maybe mites, which will have to be killed with either Permethrin Dust, or spray.
Mites can kill a chicken if left untreated.

The bugs may be mites, which will have to be killed with either Permethrin Dust, or spray.
Mites can kill a chicken if left untreated.
Earlier we put DE in areas outside where they sunbathe and put small amounts on the feathers of the hen. We are going to wash their coop today to try and get rid of whatever the bugs are.

We only have DE on hand right now as we were told it would, we'll go out to TSC tomorrow and see if they have the Permethrin Dust you mentioned.
The stuff I bought is from Amazon, it's labeled as Poultry, & Garden Dust, just a different brand of Permethrin Dust, that's an alternative if you can't find the other Permethrin.

Do you know the nearby families well enough to ask if they're missing a bird, if there is an illness running through their flock, and/or if they've had any birds die recently? I think it'd be worth the time to look into it in order to hopefully help your birds more quickly. I wish you the best 💜

Back
Top Bottom