Unknown Crop issue

Dec 7, 2020
Today, my chicken's crop did not fill up like normal. She had been fine up until today. We check them daily. This afternoon it feels deflated when you touch it. It feels like a deflated balloon with rocks in it. No smelly breath, definitely not hard. I can't find anything on any website that mirrors her symptoms. She seemed lively, a little less vocal than usual but nothing out of the ordinary. We have a vet appointment on Monday. Today is Saturday. No worms evident in her feces which seem smaller than normal but within normal as far as how they look. She is drinking water and seems to be eating. She free ranges with the others. Any advice on what we can do while we wait for our appointment? Any ideas on what it may be?

These are pets so we are worried. Thank you for any help you may provide.

UPDATE: It is now Monday. She stopped eating. Her crop feels the same. We started giving her water in a syringe while we wait for our vet visit. With the pandemic, we are having issues getting in. We started yesterday with the syringe. Ginger tea with honey and ACV. I have enclosed a picture of her poop this morning. It seems like there is undigested food but clearly the water is going through. She is definitely not herself but still talks and her eyes are clear.

Wendy

Attachments

• 20201207_074607.jpg
    20201207_074607.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 5
She is at the vet now. I wanted to post here because everything we read didn't look like what she had. So as soon as we get an answer, I will let everyone know. In case it helps someone else. Thanks 😊

Today, my chicken's crop did not fill up like normal. She had been fine up until today. We check them daily. This afternoon it feels deflated when you touch it. It feels like a deflated balloon with rocks in it. No smelly breath, definitely not hard. I can't find anything on any website that mirrors her symptoms. She seemed lively, a little less vocal than usual but nothing out of the ordinary. We have a vet appointment on Monday. Today is Saturday. No worms evident in her feces which seem smaller than normal but within normal as far as how they look. She is drinking water and seems to be eating. She free ranges with the others. Any advice on what we can do while we wait for our appointment? Any ideas on what it may be?

These are pets so we are worried. Thank you for any help you may provide.

UPDATE: It is now Monday. She stopped eating. Her crop feels the same. We started giving her water in a syringe while we wait for our vet visit. With the pandemic, we are having issues getting in. We started yesterday with the syringe. Ginger tea with honey and ACV. I have enclosed a picture of her poop this morning. It seems like there is undigested food but clearly the water is going through. She is definitely not herself but still talks and her eyes are clear.

Wendy
members.jpg

How old is the chicken? Does she lay eggs? Have you tried feeding scrambled egg or something she really likes to get her eating? Pictures of her could be helpful. Is she puffed up or hunched?

She is 8 months old, laying eggs, and we did try things she liked with no success. The vet said she had gapeworm and gave us meds for our flock of 5. She normally talks ALOT and she was quiet with a flaccid crop that felt like it had rocks in it. The vet couldn't get her to eat and ended up having to syringe feed her. Since we had hydrated her, it took 2 vet assistants to hold her down for the vet to syringe feed her. She was a good weight and looked healthy otherwise.

She is 8 months old, laying eggs, and we did try things she liked with no success. The vet said she had gapeworm and gave us meds for our flock of 5. She normally talks ALOT and she was quiet with a flaccid crop that felt like it had rocks in it. The vet couldn't get her to eat and ended up having to syringe feed her. Since we had hydrated her, it took 2 vet assistants to hold her down for the vet to syringe feed her. She was a good weight and looked healthy otherwise.
Not egg bound nor any other issues.

Back
Top Bottom