Unknown Disease Identification

clearteal

In the Brooder
May 6, 2020
Michigan
I had a roughly 7-8 year old Golden Laced Wyandotte I had to put down recently due to an unknown illness. I had noticed she was lying down a lot in the run a few days prior and then found her lying down on the coop floor when I put the birds away at night. She was lying flat on her stomach, wings loosely held away from her body slightly, and her neck was arched to have her head almost vertical to the floor, with her beak pointed downward. She looked like she was having mild spasms in her head and neck, almost like a preening motion, but very obviously not normal. Very lethargic and not present, checked her crop and it was empty so she hadn't been eating. Has anyone come across something like this before?

I had a roughly 7-8 year old Golden Laced Wyandotte I had to put down recently due to an unknown illness. I had noticed she was lying down a lot in the run a few days prior and then found her lying down on the coop floor when I put the birds away at night. She was lying flat on her stomach, wings loosely held away from her body slightly, and her neck was arched to have her head almost vertical to the floor, with her beak pointed downward. She looked like she was having mild spasms in her head and neck, almost like a preening motion, but very obviously not normal. Very lethargic and not present, checked her crop and it was empty so she hadn't been eating. Has anyone come across something like this before?
I'm sorry about your hen.
Unfortunately without necropsy, there's no way to know what happened. If you lose another and want to find out more, make arrangements and send the body to your state lab. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom