Unknown egg!

Helenbee

Hatching
Apr 15, 2021
Hi everybody,
We are a first time incubating and hopefully hatching family! We have collected 5 Hen eggs from a local farm. As we were getting into the car my daughters found a muddy egg by the side of the farm track- seemed abandoned, but was warm. So... perhaps foolishly, we put it into the 7th spot in the incubator...

So, 3 days on, and me having very much enjoyed getting up to speed on incubating eggs... I am now doubting putting in the 7th egg, as we don’t know if it is a hen or duck, and we don’t know when it was laid... and it was muddy (I washed it in warm water).

I’ve candles it a couple of times (see pictures) and would love more experienced eyes on it and some advice now we have committed to the little thing!!
We think we see changes that are in line with development, but 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
The first picture is the day we picked it up and the second two today (3 days on).

Attachments

• 9B1015BE-9D74-4925-A2EE-DF846D419D48.jpeg
    9B1015BE-9D74-4925-A2EE-DF846D419D48.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 14
  • E81D2E37-109B-40BA-B8AA-0FD1DA60B5A8.jpeg
    E81D2E37-109B-40BA-B8AA-0FD1DA60B5A8.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 10
  • D4E784B3-C875-4B7F-B475-C85F13268D90.jpeg
    D4E784B3-C875-4B7F-B475-C85F13268D90.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 10
Hi everybody,
We are a first time incubating and hopefully hatching family! We have collected 5 Hen eggs from a local farm. As we were getting into the car my daughters found a muddy egg by the side of the farm track- seemed abandoned, but was warm. So... perhaps foolishly, we put it into the 7th spot in the incubator...

So, 3 days on, and me having very much enjoyed getting up to speed on incubating eggs... I am now doubting putting in the 7th egg, as we don’t know if it is a hen or duck, and we don’t know when it was laid... and it was muddy (I washed it in warm water).

I’ve candles it a couple of times (see pictures) and would love more experienced eyes on it and some advice now we have committed to the little thing!!
We think we see changes that are in line with development, but 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
The first picture is the day we picked it up and the second two today (3 days on).
You should not have washed it. That took of the natural bloom which protects the egg from bacteria.

You should not have washed it. That took of the natural bloom which protects the egg from bacteria.
Yes I have been thinking this too. I did read a bit about it and it was very muddy, so there was some advice that a wash in warm water would be better than the mud. I’m still not sure.

Back
Top Bottom