Unknown Invader

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
So, sitting at the table this morning around 6 AM, I look out to see my hens out in the backyard. I closed them up tight last night. Uh oh.

Woke up my husband, and we went out to see what was up. Something damaged our large muck-out door on our main coop. Don't think it was a bear, because it just would have been ripped off the hinges.

Whatever it was scratched the door and bloodied it's paws, we lean 3 cinderblocks against that door to keep it closed, and all three blocks were knocked over, the bottom hinge is popped, like something leaned on the top of the door.

No losses, all chickens present and accounted for, but now we got to get the game camera up to see if whatever it was comes back.

We're thinking coyote or stray dog. I think a bear just would have straight ripped the door off its hinges.

Anyway, darn it! We've been 9 months without any serious predation, and that's excellent for our super rural area.

So, tonight the game cam goes up and tomorrow we'll see what we get.

Em

I was thinking something doglike too.
I hope you fixed the door so it cant get in if it comes back!
Good luck

We've got 2 game cameras and the door has had new hinges and wood and two new latches.

We will see if it comes back tonight for a repeat performance. Going to use the baby monitor so if the dog starts to bark, it wakes us up.

Em

53005_pix649597531.jpg

It is never fun knowing something is after your flock.

Well, no barking and no pics on the game camera. My husband spent more time clearing out underbrush and took down a couple smaller trees, to open the area up a bit more.

He says whatever it is, it will meet the business end on the 30.06. I'm just hoping whatever it was doesn't come back. EVER.

Em

Back
Top Bottom