Unknown predator killing my baby chicks (IN ENGLAND)

Raccoons do exist in england, but theyre really rare- they are native to north america, so technically theyre an "oops" existing in very small numbers there.

Anyhoo, my thought is a mink or some other weasel. Did the camera provide some light into the culprit yet?

Hubby is rigging it up right now, as I am watching a cute little hedgehog puttering about in the garden.
smile.png

~Cherlyn

I know raccoons are a real problem on the continent. They got loose during WWII from some fur farm and are pests in parts of Germany and I think other EU countries as well.

Didn't know they were in the UK. Bummer. Hope they don't have a population explosion like in the US.

Last edited:
No deaths last night. I had penned everyone in. Hubby was SUPPOSED to put up a camera, but did not. He stayed up until 3 this morning, doing who knows what, but still did not get the camera up (and did not check on the birds).

*sigh*

~Cherlyn

Quote:
Never seen one around here, though I know there are many. But the chicks who were killed were killed inside their coop. The door was not closed but the chicks were inside, with a roof. Would an owl go for them in there?

~Cherlyn

Quote:
Never seen one around here, though I know there are many. But the chicks who were killed were killed inside their coop. The door was not closed but the chicks were inside, with a roof. Would an owl go for them in there?

~Cherlyn

there are a couple of posts on here about people finding owls in thier coops..so maybe...
Would an owl kill all of them like that though...or just take one at a time? I dont know anything about owls...

Back
Top Bottom