Unknown predator

Akgirlalways907

Hatching
Dec 8, 2018
Weve had 2 backyard chickens for 4 years. 3 weeks ago 1 was attacked we think by a cat, so we locked the 1 up for a week or so and took care of the cat. We got a new chicken and 3 days before Thanksgiving something got her early in the morning, she tried to escape but got tangled in the garden nets so we have kept the lone chicken in the coop since then (it has an attached run that is enclosed with wire mesh). This morning I realized I hadn't see her in a few days. When I went to check on her she had been attacked IN the coop, whatever it was ate her butt off and you can see where it dug under the run to get into the enclosure. Any suggestions, my daughters wants more chickens but I cant keep buying new ones if theres just going to die

As much as I'd love to keep free ranging them, I'd rather just have live chickens. I already plan to wire the bottom now so nothing can dig under again

Put a wire apron around the coop and run, make it 18 inches out. If you want to keep rats or mice out, use 1/2 inch hardware cloth and pin it down with landscape pins.

Do you have a game camera you can put up? Most likely it will come back and you will know what you are dealing with.

Maybe it doen't matter what did it, but for me I like to know what predators are lurking around. Most nights I get at least one predator on one of my cameras. I have my coops and pens well fortified with electric wire around all of the coops and pens, concrete under the gates and a heavy duty netting covering all of my pens.

Back
Top Bottom