Unknown protuberance (picture added)

XilverAngel

Songster
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
I just helped a chick that was stuck hatch out of its shell, and it's doing fine under our broody hen, but it seems to have a red bump of some sort stuck to the area around its butt/stomach. I have no idea what it is, and im thinking that it is just something that didn't come off when it hatched out. There was not an excessive amount of blood when it came out, so i know it's not underdeveloped, it just was in the wrong position or something, so it had difficulty pushing out. Will this -whatever it is- fall off of the chick after it's all fluffed up?

Last edited:
Most likely it is the naval not completely healed. Omphalititis or Mushy Chick Syndrome comes from when the humidity is too high during incubation. The chicks usually hatch with an unhealed naval or the unabsorbed yolk sack still attached.

You should keep an eye on it as it grows but if it turns out to be a fine bird I see no reason why you couldn't breed it. And if it is a pet, so much the better for it. If your other chicks that hatched turned out fine I wouldn't do anything differently next time, it could just be a random thing too.

Best of luck, JW

Here is a picture, there is a red spot or bump near its butt/stomach area....

35546_100_4142.jpg

That's what it looks like, the naval just a little unhealed. I should be fine as long as it is getting around and eating and drinking. You may want to put antibiotic or a piece of bandage or something on it if it is under a mother hen in case the nest box is dirty, but otherwise when it heals it should be alright.

antibiotic or bandage? so what would i do? just take something over it? or put some ointment on it?

Quote:
It's staying under the hen and it's not really active looking... it's always putting down its head whenever i pick it up...

If you don't want to let nature take it's course, I would, like I say, put whatever ointment you have on hand on, or hydrogen peroxide, then put it on a towel or preferably stick a bandage on if you have a sticky one that would stick to chick down. You can either leave it under the hen or put it in a brooder with a heat lamp, just make sure it is warm enough and you don't keep it out too long to bandage it so it doesn't chill. Then you wait. Best of luck, JW

Back
Top Bottom