Unknown sickness in 9 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ariana Martinez, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Ariana Martinez

Ariana Martinez Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    I'm posting for a woman who has 3 9 week old chick that are showing signs of a sickness. She began with 4 and has already list one and the 3 are showing symptoms of what that chick had,
    Symptoms involve:
    •problems walking
    •on some days not being able to walk at all
    •have diarrhea and some blood in it

Please reply with any info on what they may have and how to fix it and if it is deadly

Thankyou for reading[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Probably a Coccidiosis overload/outbreak,cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,it is spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings. Coccidiosis can kill very fast,but is easily controlled using a coccidiostat. Some symptoms are:runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking.

Purchase Corid(amprolium) or might be called Amprol(amprolium)dose for Corid/Amprol 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chicks for 5-7 days,make sure medicated water is the only water they have to drink. Do not give vitamins during treatment as they interfere with the ability of the coccidiostat to work. Give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with above--sounds like cocci.

Good treatment outlined above. I'm going to add management issues--in young chicks this is often from overcrowding, wet bedding and poor hygiene. Those things need to be addressed as the birds are medicated. Birds this age need around 3 square feet each, dry bedding and waterers need to be elevated so they can't soil them with droppings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by