unpopular chicken opinions??

Pics
I see there's a lot of Silkie hate going on in this thread. Makes me wonder how many of you have actually had Silkies.

I think a lot depends on where you get them. If you are getting Silkies for show, then yeah, all of this applies (except ugly, maybe), but there are Silkies that have not been ruined by being exclusively bred for appearance. Silkies were raised in Asia for a long time (they are one of the oldest chicken breeds) for meat and eggs, and they did it well. Full size ones dress out at a decent weight (the Silkie cockerels I've processed weighed heavier than Wyandottes of the same age), and hens not bred for looks lay just as well as most breeds. My three pullets give me roughly 2-3 eggs a day (most days I get three eggs, some days I only get two), and their eggs are interesting because the yolk is as big as a regular chicken's egg, but there's less white. AND they all have gone broody. Heck, one adopted some chicks randomly. They can be big, as I mentioned above, and I've seen no difference in their speed vs the others in my flock. As for not seeing predators, if you don't get ones with vaulted skulls and insane crests, they can see fine with their little puff balls. Or you can get some crestless "wild" types. If you know a Silkie breeder sometimes these pop up and they're happy to be rid of them. Honestly, their highest merit (besides being bonkers broodies) is their docility. They handle confinement better than most chickens--not an excuse to mistreat them of course--and are not known to be bullies.

I can't argue with aesthetics, though. Beauty (and ugly) is in the eye of the beholder.

My Australorps are A-holes. They're the only pullets I've had to put in The Bully Cage. More than once. They are pretty though, with their iridescent feathers. But not really worth it. And mine aren't great layers either, so I'm probably gonna get rid of both of them when I downsize my flock.

I agree about Turkens, especially Showgirls. I shudder every time. More power to people who like them though.

My unpopular opinion is that roosters should be allowed as long as reasonable efforts are made to keep them quiet during times when people are normally asleep, and they aren't incessant crowers. If they're not, it makes it pretty much impossible to sustainably raise chickens yourself...you'll always have to get fresh stock from elsewhere.
I agree with everything you just said.

Silkies are awesome.

Naked Necks suck.

Australorps are overrated.

And roosters should be allowed if they don't cause any problems.

Only single combs look like real chickens. Also, yellow legs make them look like fake chickens.
All of my boys have straight or walnut combs, something that sticks up off their heads. Then my sweet lovable big guy Auggie (Polish/EE cross ~ has a Polish comb) runs around looking like a red headed Alan Jackson without his hat or just like his head is missing *something*. It's taken a lot of adjustment to not give the guy a double take thinking somethings not right, so I agree. I do adore my Auggie though

Uhh... 100? They are magical creatures.

I've never let them sit. But they constantly try. :rolleyes:

@Overo Mare how many eggs fit under a BC?
I personally wouldn't put any more than 5. Mine are properly small though. If they're giant hatchery BC's, they could probably handle a couple more.

You have to remember that the eggs eventually hatch and the chicks grow. They still have to fit comfortably under mom.

VERY unpopular opinions:
Just because someone doesn't have the EXACT coop-to-run ratio does not mean their chickens are unhappy
AND:
10-12 hens per roo should be a guideline not a rigid rule. It depends on the roo.

Wait for all the Angry reacts!
No I agree. I have prefab coops that everyone claims should hold a standard or maybe just a bantam. But I keep pairs and small standard trios in it just fine and no one seems upset

I also mainly have trios and pairs and simply seperate roosters if they are causing problems for the hens. (Gotta love rabbit stackers for this)

Only single combs look like real chickens. Also, yellow legs make them look like fake chickens.
655BA318-115B-447B-B3F3-B1AD8183C8F1.jpeg

D685AF9D-277D-4A64-97DE-99FA5832E54E.jpeg

Here is Mr. Topknot, do you like his duplex comb and few crest feathers? He hatched from a green egg, so that makes him an Easter Egger. Parents on site where I got fertile eggs included black-breasted red Polish and white/brown bearded Ameraucana crosses. Mr. Topknot is the sire of Red Phoenix (blue wheaten) who is hatched from a squashed egg, but that’s another story. :jumpy :love

View attachment 2515482
View attachment 2515489
Here is Mr. Topknot, do you like his duplex comb and few crest feathers? He hatched from a green egg, so that makes him an Easter Egger. Parents on site where I got fertile eggs included black-breasted red Polish and white/brown bearded Ameraucana crosses. Mr. Topknot is the sire of Red Phoenix (blue wheaten) who is hatched from a squashed egg, but that’s another story. :jumpy :love
His first picture looked like he belonged in labyrinth

Back
Top Bottom