unpopular chicken opinions??

Pics
Yep. Just like with polling cattle/goats/etc, you don't have to do it, and it's not irresponsible not to as long as you are prepared to deal with any issues that may arise.
Agreed. Although I do trim spurs regularly now. Twice I found roosters hanging upside down by their spurs caught on chicken wire. The 3rd incident was a bird seemed unable to stand because of a problem at the hip. His spurs were so long they were locking together. I decided spurs were straining his hip tendons. He’s fine now after trimming his spurs.
Edited to add, I didn’t want chicken wire but person who built this coop refused to use hardware cloth :idunno
40EC3215-1761-4B97-B442-9A94EC6FCA5A.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed. Although I do trim spurs regularly now. Twice I found roosters hanging upside down by their spurs caught on chicken wire. The 3rd incident was a bird seemed unable to stand because of a problem at the hip. His spurs were so long they were locking together. I decided spurs were straining his hip tendons. He’s fine now after trimming his spurs.
Edited to add, I didn’t want chicken wire but person who built this coop refused to use hardware cloth :idunno
View attachment 2520457
And that's fair I had a male walking odd because his would bump against each other. He got clipped. But I have a male with ones about 6 inches if they were straight. Not a scratch on him or the ladies so I leave those magnificent things

Back
Top Bottom