unpopular chicken opinions??

Well I see what your saying but if you want to show, get a show bird. If you want pets then get the birds who’ve been bred terribly at a hatchery. Hatchery birds have no SOP but somehow each breeds shape looks very similar. I find it ugly and quite boring.
In proper apa shows, I agree. But our 4H show is for kids to show off their projects and hard work. That work is the same whether they have a 3 dollar leghorn or a 30 dollar leghorn, and not everyone in 4h can afford to buy 30 dollar birds every year

30 second old Nana. Australorp mom. Pretty ugly before they dry off !!! :gig
505A47E3-EAFA-48B0-B9D7-720D2F2EE22C.jpeg
3731A553-DD21-49C2-A418-48D22031820A.jpeg

Well I see what your saying but if you want to show, get a show bird. If you want pets then get the birds who’ve been bred terribly at a hatchery. Hatchery birds have no SOP but somehow each breeds shape looks very similar. I find it ugly and quite boring.

Also, hatchery birds are not representing their breed. Chickens have been bred a certain way for years and now they’re losing that look because of what hatcheries have done to them.
this is making me want to cancel my McMurray order

In proper apa shows, I agree. But our 4H show is for kids to show off their projects and hard work. That work is the same whether they have a 3 dollar leghorn or a 30 dollar leghorn, and not everyone in 4h can afford to buy 30 dollar birds every year
Be grateful you have 4H. I grew up in Silicon Valley and did take riding lessons. But somebody official decided that our schools didn’t need 4H. As a kid I was so disappointed

Gotta agree with the origonal opinion. We have so many kids that are so excited with their birds that leave the fair in tears because someone said that their bird wasn't worth a crockpot to cook it in.

Beginners are there to learn and improve, and that usually means they start with hatchery birds and not ones that cost a whole paycheck.
Someone actually said that to a kid?! That's awful.

Back
Top Bottom