unpopular chicken opinions??

If you don't eat chicken then there's even more reason Dogs should be considered a food dish, unless you are a veggie eater of course. Either way, id rather see them being used somehow instead of just being essentially thrown away.

Aaron
Same thing with people. Most of us have quite a bit of meat on our bones, yet we are simply "wasted", as you like to put it.

I’ve got single copy Naked Neck chickens “Nana” at the moment. Do you know of a good source of Fayoumis?
We got our vaccinated Fayoumis from Murray McMurray. We had great experiences with McM (sexing was 100% accurate, chicks were healthy, phone conversations with staff were great, no problems with shipping), but don't really know about the quality of the stock they have (after reading subsequent comments about breeding and hatcheries I'm a bit 😬).

Of our two Fayoumis, one was killed by a dog (for some reason she jumped into a yard with two very noisy outdoor dogs) and the other seems healthy so far (she's 9 mos old). Time will tell whether she's Marek's-resistant.

From what I was told, In 1959 when we adopted Hawaii into the family of states the USA currently has, they passed a law making the eating of Long Pork (Human Flesh) illegal. Many cultures, including the Hawaiians routinely ate Human Flesh as part of rictuals for various reasons. Some cultures believed eating the dead imparted you with their knowledge etc. others seen it as a source of food.

But in that, I agree, eat people, look at all the prime real estate that is wasted in cemeteries

Aaron.

We got our vaccinated Fayoumis from Murray McMurray. We had great experiences with McM (sexing was 100% accurate, chicks were healthy, phone conversations with staff were great, no problems with shipping), but don't really know about the quality of the stock they have (after reading subsequent comments about breeding and hatcheries I'm a bit 😬).
To add to that, McM was easy to get a refund from when USPS basically murdered our poults

I only dislike when hatchery or mixed breeds are mislabeled, such as if they were sold as show quality purebreds. I actually prefer mixes. I don’t think I would ever want to breed two chickens of the same breed together, to be honest. :lol:
Murray McMurray sells Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas (https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/americanas.html). Note that they do have this disclaimer: "Our Ameraucanas are sold as a mixed flock only, and specific feather coloring is not available." [Also, @EmmaRainboe, I think you will appreciate the weblink spelling of this breed]

I ordered two of these chicks from them in June not understanding what "a mixed flock only" meant and just wanting a colorful egg basket. I'm not breeding or showing chickens, so honestly don't care what I get as long as it's healthy, but do think it's unethical to purposely mislabel breed stock for sale.

Ok, let me throw this out there, and see how fast it gets deleted because someone cries.

Dogs and Cats, specifically dogs.
SOME people eat them. I don't see a problem at all with this.
WHY don't we sell dogs and cats as food products?

How many thousands and thousands of dogs get put down EACH YEAR in shelters because there is nobody who wants them? Across the nation, TENS if not HUNDREDS of thousands.

A shelter kills a dog, it gets thrown in the trash, buried in a land fill or possibly cremated. What a waste, What if that dog was given to feed a family? The end result is the same, you got rid of the unwanted animal BUT in this case, someone actually benefits from it, instead of the life being wasted for absolutely nothing. As long as it is killed humanely why not feed someone? and WHY is it ok to eat a chicken that makes wonderful pets too, but OH GOD FORBID a dog? why are they so special,they are not that much smarter than chickens, (Labrador breed comes to mind, those are dumb animals right there).

Save a Chicken, eat a Pomeranian instead.

Aaron
Ok, let me throw this out there, and see how fast it gets deleted because someone cries.

Dogs and Cats, specifically dogs.
SOME people eat them. I don't see a problem at all with this.
WHY don't we sell dogs and cats as food products?

How many thousands and thousands of dogs get put down EACH YEAR in shelters because there is nobody who wants them? Across the nation, TENS if not HUNDREDS of thousands.

A shelter kills a dog, it gets thrown in the trash, buried in a land fill or possibly cremated. What a waste, What if that dog was given to feed a family? The end result is the same, you got rid of the unwanted animal BUT in this case, someone actually benefits from it, instead of the life being wasted for absolutely nothing. As long as it is killed humanely why not feed someone? and WHY is it ok to eat a chicken that makes wonderful pets too, but OH GOD FORBID a dog? why are they so special,they are not that much smarter than chickens, (Labrador breed comes to mind, those are dumb animals right there).

Save a Chicken, eat a Pomeranian instead.

Aaron
I don’t know, They smell bad
If you don't eat chicken then there's even more reason Dogs should be considered a food dish, unless you are a veggie eater of course. Either way, id rather see them being used somehow instead of just being essentially thrown away.

Aaron
I don’t know, except dogs smell bad (so probably taste bad?) and don’t lay eggs. I’m a veggie eater mostly but was brought up to eat chicken. Knowing chicken anatomy from eating them as a kid has helped me heal them now.

I buy as many males as I can reasonably get away with while having a plan for them. Most end up sold for food, some are sold to 4H families that need males for classes. I have 12 currently and will probably double that in terms of what stays permanently here for breeding.

I love males, and if I could have that 1:1 ratio, I would. But it's not safe for them or the girls like that

From what I was told, In 1959 when we adopted Hawaii into the family of states the USA currently has, they passed a law making the eating of Long Pork (Human Flesh) illegal. Many cultures, including the Hawaiians routinely ate Human Flesh as part of rictuals for various reasons. Some cultures believed eating the dead imparted you with their knowledge etc. others seen it as a source of food.

But in that, I agree, eat people, look at all the prime real estate that is wasted in cemeteries

Aaron.
Yikes I grew up on Oahu

Murray McMurray sells Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas (https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/americanas.html). Note that they do have this disclaimer: "Our Ameraucanas are sold as a mixed flock only, and specific feather coloring is not available." [Also, @EmmaRainboe, I think you will appreciate the weblink spelling of this breed]

I ordered two of these chicks from them in June not understanding what "a mixed flock only" meant and just wanting a colorful egg basket. I'm not breeding or showing chickens, so honestly don't care what I get as long as it's healthy, but do think it's unethical to purposely mislabel breed stock for sale.
It could be that they hatch the eggs together and don’t bother to sort out the colors.

Edited to add, sorry Emma, I know you’d rather the hatchery take the time to keep each color separate. But I suspect the hatchery keeps the adults separate then mix the chicks together in an assortment so that the hatchery can keep up with demand

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom