Unstable air cells day 9

crzyckldy

Songster
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
North Carolina
I have some shipped eggs that are almost at day 10 in the incubator. I let them sit 24 hrs before putting them in. The PO did a good job of tossing them around! When I candled on day 7, only 3 were developing ( out of 7) but the air cells look half attached and half not, if that makes sense . So I unplugged the turner and I've only been hand turning them , but keeping them straight up for the past 2 1/2 days. I checked today and the air cells still look unstable. Is there anything else I could/ should do? I really want these to hatch!

Most people suggest not turning for the first 3 days of incubation just to give the cells more time to settle. I would now put them in cut down egg cartons and turn by just propping up the egg carton at one side then when you turn again put that side down and then prop the other side up I would also hatch in the cut down egg cartons. My last batch hatched had bad cells and I thought nothing would be able to hatch but they did I hatched in egg cartons. Good luck with your eggs.

Most people suggest not turning for the first 3 days of incubation just to give the cells more time to settle. I would now put them in cut down egg cartons and turn by just propping up the egg carton at one side then when you turn again put that side down and then prop the other side up I would also hatch in the cut down egg cartons. My last batch hatched had bad cells and I thought nothing would be able to hatch but they did I hatched in egg cartons. Good luck with your eggs.

Ok I'll try that. Thank you so much! I've had horrible hatch rates with shipped eggs! Next time I'll try the 3 day no turning. Thanks again!

I need help again with these eggs! Only 2 have made it to day 18 :-(. I have incubated them from day 10 in a cut egg carton. The air cells are rather large , but both have a little fluid at the lowest point in the air cell. So what should I do about lockdown??? Keep them in the carton? Lay them on their sides? Poke tiny hole to drain fluid? Please any advice??? Thx!

I need help again with these eggs! Only 2 have made it to day 18 :-(. I have incubated them from day 10 in a cut egg carton. The air cells are rather large , but both have a little fluid at the lowest point in the air cell. So what should I do about lockdown??? Keep them in the carton? Lay them on their sides? Poke tiny hole to drain fluid? Please any advice??? Thx!

Don't poke a hole in them... If there is fluid it could mean they aren't ready for lockdown....You could wait and do lockdown when the first one internally pips.. I have done that before although not with shipped eggs..

Since there's some fluid in the air cells it would probably be best to leave them in the egg cartons for lock-down. If they are on their sides there's a chance they could drown in the fluid. Keep a close eye on them though, my last batch of shipped eggs I kept in the carton for lock-down and two of them started pipping from the small ends of their eggs! Luckily I noticed in time to save one of them, but not the other. Shipped eggs have a higher rate of "breech" babies.

Back
Top Bottom