Unstable, non producing of oil for feathers, etc

DTduckcaretaker

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
I have raised ducks for years and of course am far from a professional but have been stumped by our latest duck. He was purchased 4-19-14, with 5 other ducks and seemed to be fine until a few days later when I noticed he had trouble walking, was a stumble. His eating habits are fine and bowel movements are normal as well as signs of doing what a normal duck would do. I have noticed that he lacked having to produce oil for his feathers so when he swims the water doesn't roll off his feather's. The wings seem to have a stunted growth and I assume that has something to do with his being able to balance, not sure on this little guy and would appreciate if ANYONE knew about his symptoms and could give some advice. The other's in the flock of course turned on him so I have him properly taken care of indoors with lots of love and routine that is as close to normal for a duck as he would have if he wasn't disabled. He is a Peking duck
Thanks

Last edited:
Just guessing, sounds like possibly something toxic was eaten. I suppose it could be botulism, which is also a toxin.

I would put a teaspoon of food grade activated charcoal in a pint of water and give that to him to drink from at night. It ought not to harm the others - charcoal is said to absorb toxins. It also, I believe, may bind to medicines so if they are taking medicine that would be a wrinkle.

The oil gland may or may not be related. See if you can find it, and rub a tiny bit of coconut or olive oil onto it - both are anti inflammatories, and harmless as far as I know.

Thank you for the response, I haven't had him near any toxins and thought that at first which is why this is puzzling me. I received another response that said he might have had a seizure, do you know anything about ducks having seizure's? Any advice is appreciated and thank you so much for the oil advice

Back
Top Bottom