1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unsuccessful Incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dgkatz, Mar 7, 2009.

1. dgkatz

dgkatz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    I'm on day 18 of an incubation (my first attempt) I started with 47 eggs, threw out 8 after awhile that were unfertile. I could have sworn I saw movement in some of the eggs around 10 days but now all but one egg candle clear for the bottom half, a dark floating mass for about a third and then the air pocket. With 3 days to go I have to believe this batch is a loss.
    I'm using a Hobavator with an automatic turner and keeping it at 99.5 degrees. Any suggestions?

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I wouldn't give up on them just yet. However, is it possible that you had a major temperature spike back several days ago? That is really the only thing I can think of that might kill all of them off at the same time. If they are all candling the same then they are most likely at the same stage in their development.

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I would keep them in the bator for the remainder of time.

4. Echoes

Echoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    So was anything moving in there today? OR was it just a still, dark floating mass?

5. dgkatz

dgkatz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    looks like a lifeless dark floating mass, no movement unless I move the eggs

6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I am also on day 18 on a first attempt and my results are the same. I just took out the turner and put them in a carton to finish the last few days hoping I just wasn't candling properly....

7. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    If any of the more experienced members here see this please comment. I have exactly the same thing with several of my eggs too. I am also at day 18 so I was very iterested in this.
    This is my first hatch.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    no mention was made of humidity. Do you have a hygrometer? (measures humidity) They can be bought at walmart.com for under ten dollars. I put a section of hardware cloth on top of my eggs and set the hygrometer on that and run around 102 in my still air and things usually hatch about right, sometiems a day later. I try to keep the humidity around 40%, maybe 45 or so, and the last three days, bump it up to around 60%. Not all of mine hatch either, but I do okay. Hope this helps. Good luck and don't give up. I compltely destroyed my first four incubation efforts through not knoiwing. You are in good company here.

9. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I have 2 hygrometers that were calibrated and both read between 43-50 percent....

10. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I candled mine around day 17 and didn't see any movement. I let them set in the incubator with little hope of any hatching. All but one hatched. The one that didn't hatch was cracked.

I would just let them alone. You might get some. Don't give up yet. It's worth a try. Good Luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by