Unsucessful hatch 😢

Zantechick

Chirping
Apr 17, 2019
Zakythos greece
Sad day today checked on mummy hen louise this morning been giving her watermelon cos was worried she not having enuff water and its hot, so thort there was a piece under her but it was a dead chick must have tried to hatch during the night. It was still abit attached to the egg shell . Could she have crushed it ? Any suggestions what i should do with the other 5 eggs (dont have an incubator as didnt expect to be doning this). It did hatch early at 18days i know for for sure the correct date cos when she started brooding first clutch didnt hatch she was still sitting so we put more fresh ones under her candled them few days ago and all looked good ? X

I would just hold on and let her continue to the proper hatch date. It may have got broken accidentally. If there is any goo in the nest I'd try to get the worst of it out, gently and quickly, and wipe over any eggs with yolk/white on them with a damp cloth, again gently and quickly. It is good that you know the dates.

Think we managed to get most out their didnt seem to much mess there was abit of blood and chick wasnt fully out of the egg thanks not very nice to find this morning 😢
no it's not nice to find something gone wrong, especially so close to the end, but it happens to everyone sooner or later. It's good news that there wasn't much mess - egg yolk and white can set like glue (indeed, there is a glue based on egg) and make it impossible for an otherwise healthy chick to get out.

Checked under her this morning cos yesturday another had pipped, thort there was another dead one but it was breathing didnt look like it was attached to any of the egg no blood looked like it might have just finshed hatch and taking a breather. Got everything crossed it survives want to get excited but cant after seeing that yesturdayxxx

I never
I hope new chick is ok. Sorry you had to find the other one 😔 I’ve never hatched and currently got a broody sitting so interesting to read these stories.
I never expected to be waiting for little hatchies, mummy is a golden comet so rarely go broody and she'only 10 months old (too young really) as much as i tried to stop her she carried on sitting so i left her too it. At the moment its just lying there under breathing hope fhis is normal xx

yes it's normal. Hatching is tiring, and the little thing needs a good rest now.
It has to wait for the rest to hatch anyway; can you hear little cheeps? They talk to each other even in the shell, to encourage them all to hatch at the same time or thereabouts :D And you may hear the broody gently clucking to encourage them too :love

yes it's normal. Hatching is tiring, and the little thing needs a good rest now.
It has to wait for the rest to hatch anyway; can you hear little cheeps? They talk to each other even in the shell, to encourage them all to hatch at the same time or thereabouts :D And you may hear the broody gently clucking to encourage them too :love
Thanks for that i did check her (last time promiss😉) just to make sure its still alive 😃 will leave her alone now altho she is my cuddley girl and seem to like me sitting chatting to her put i wont distrurb her now letting her have time to bond its got a beautiful colour/markings , not sure what breed dad is as he's not really my cockrel hes just decided to live with us from the next field him his wife and 3 kids lol xxxxx

Back
Top Bottom