Unsure how long chickens have gone with H2O

kenyabob

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
I feel about as awful as I can.

I previously had chickens with my parents, and now out of my own, I've got my own flock as well. They are about 12-14 weeks old and their new coop has hanging galvanized feeder and waterer. Unlike our old plastic waterer, I cannot see when the water has gotten low. It's also been raining here like crazy, and when I've gone out to check on their food, and Im just not too sure when the trough of the waterer went dry. I refilled it today, and all the chickens gathered around for a good solid couple of minutes of drinking before going back to scratching.

I realize now that I've got to be much better about physically checking the water, since the visual indicators are low as I peer into the coop. Is there anything I can do to help out these thirsty chicks in the here and now?

when was the last time you filled it?... a few days ago?

if everyone is acting normal I would just observe them. If you find they are acting lethargic i would give some pedilite

Its a three gallon bucket filled end of week last week. They don't seem lethargic at all. They're pretty lively and there doesn't seem to be much of a change from their usual scratching routine.

If they aren't dead be glad. Give them water changed more than once a day. You can also give them lettuce, it's mostly water. These types of waterers are not for you. Or me for that matter. I use the plastic ones and the gallon size to avoid the laziness that can set in.

Even still water should be changed once or twice a day. Never left over day to day. The point of these waterers is not so you don't have to fill it but for the size of flocks.

Wishing you the best

Rancher

I'd get another waterer. You should always have a back-up water source. Maybe one of those 1 gallon plastic ones and put it up on a cinderblock in the run. I have three waterers for my flock - better safe than sorry!

if not dropping they should be fine just make sure to get them water and try not to let them pig out on it too much at one time. they can go quiet a while once they are no longer chicks.

I bought one of the 5 gallon plastic waterers and threw in some bobbers from the fishing aisle, so I can see from the house if the water is getting low or not. At the very least you should pick up your waterer to check it. Last week seems like a long time. I have 18 chickens and 4 ducks and I refill the big outside waterer every other day.

Water check at least once every day. No mater if it's 1-gal,or 5gal. If your not going to check your water, then look onto the nipple system thats attached to a continue useage source.

Back
Top Bottom