Unsure if I need a rooster or not?

No, I know its the rooster tearing them up.

And yeah, my first rooster did the same thing to my first hen, tearing up her back. We tried to separate them, but the hen wandered off and got killed by something. For a few months I just had the rooster, and he eventually became aggressive towards me. He ended up dying, too, though. One morning only feathers were there. That's not important, though. I ended up hating him anyways.

The point is that my hens are getting beat up by my rooster. He needs to go. Its not their diet or anything; I've seen him rip out feathers. Honeydew is so sore from him; her back is all red with scars, and when he comes anywhere near her, she fluffs up her wings and feathers and makes a bunch of noise. Now a days, she just wanders off and sits alone in the coop or by a tree.

We're going to get rid of him soon, when the secured run is built. I don't think they'll really need a lookout; its a nice little fenced area, with a few bushes and some trees for protection. Lots of shade. I'm sure they'll be safe there.

No, I know its the rooster tearing them up.

And yeah, my first rooster did the same thing to my first hen, tearing up her back. We tried to separate them, but the hen wandered off and got killed by something. For a few months I just had the rooster, and he eventually became aggressive towards me. He ended up dying, too, though. One morning only feathers were there. That's not important, though. I ended up hating him anyways.

The point is that my hens are getting beat up by my rooster. He needs to go. Its not their diet or anything; I've seen him rip out feathers. Honeydew is so sore from him; her back is all red with scars, and when he comes anywhere near her, she fluffs up her wings and feathers and makes a bunch of noise. Now a days, she just wanders off and sits alone in the coop or by a tree.

We're going to get rid of him soon, when the secured run is built. I don't think they'll really need a lookout; its a nice little fenced area, with a few bushes and some trees for protection. Lots of shade. I'm sure they'll be safe there.
Oh, poor hens! Yeah, if he's that bad, I would get rid of him. He's probably causing more harm than good. I had a similar problem, and the bad roosters went to someone with more chickens than I had.

Why wait? He should have been soup yesterday. Your hens can manage just fine without him. In fact they will probably have a party once he's gone.

Why wait? He should have been soup yesterday. Your hens can manage just fine without him. In fact they will probably have a party once he's gone.
x2 I had roosters that beat up the hens, and I kept them too long, and bad things happened! One of my hens died from a terrible injury, and I have a hen that is still super skittish around my good rooster that I have now because I kept them. I would advise getting rid of him ASAP if he's that bad.

... I would advise getting rid of him ASAP if he's that bad.

Amen!

You have a rooster that is terrorizing your hens. Why are you waiting? Are you some kind of chicken sadist? I'm sure if they could choose between having a lookout that physically and mentally abused them and having peace but having to watch out for themselves, they'd chose the latter.

First off,need at least 3 or 4 more hens.And not all roosters will attack something,they'll warn them,and come running,but may not attack anything,thats why keeping aggressive roosters is always a good thing.

Personally I would use a cone and then process him. But if you are unwilling or unable to do the work there are many ways to get rid of a mean Rooster. Because I was fairly sure the only thing I would manage to cut with a knife was me, I used the broomstick method to rid myself of my mean Rooster.

Nope, I'm go get rid of him soon.

What do y'all think is a good way to get rid of him?
Personally, I would just give him away. It's probably the easiest way. I did that with mine because of that and because I would never kill any animal I owned, but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom