Unsure if my coturnix quail will hatch

Aug 8, 2021
18 days ago, I got my first coturnix quail eggs and put them in my cheap incubator. (I had them shipped from Ohio to Texas). I've been incubating them at 96.5 to 99 degrees Fahrenheit and I'm pretty sure they'll be hatching late. I know most of them have life and are big enough to darken most of their egg, but I haven't seen any of them moving. Does anyone know what day they'll hatch or if they'll hatch at all?

The incubator I'm using is the HHD 12 egg incubator

Attachments

• 16284658858335679357068818309737.jpg
    16284658858335679357068818309737.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to BYC.
Two questions.
Did you calibrate a separately purchased thermometer?
Have you been candling regularly?

I'm using two thermometers made for body temp (Soo I don't think they need to be calibrated, do they?) and I've candled 3 times, on the first day, the tenth day, and the fourteenth day. All of them were fertile and growing except 3, though I think I may be wrong because I got them delivered and the fertile amount looks pretty high.

One of them actually just started pipping about 5 mins ago!

18 days ago, I got my first coturnix quail eggs and put them in my cheap incubator. (I had them shipped from Ohio to Texas). I've been incubating them at 96.5 to 99 degrees Fahrenheit and I'm pretty sure they'll be hatching late. I know most of them have life and are big enough to darken most of their egg, but I haven't seen any of them moving. Does anyone know what day they'll hatch or if they'll hatch at all?
Do you have a cell phone that has a flashlight app on it?

I'm using two thermometers made for body temp (Soo I don't think they need to be calibrated, do they?) and I've candled 3 times, on the first day, the tenth day, and the fourteenth day. All of them were fertile and growing except 3, though I think I may be wrong because I got them delivered and the fertile amount looks pretty high.

One of them actually just started popping about 5 mins ago!
Yes they absolutely do need to be calibrated.

Can you wait until it gets dark in about an hour and then take a cell phone flashlight and shine it into the air cell.

Give me a few minutes to find a video or pictures of what you should see at this stage of the game.

I want you to pay attention to the size of the air cell and see if it is getting larger or drawing down towards the pointy end of the egg.
And also I want you to pay close attention for any type of shadowy movement in the air cell.

Brb

Humidity... What have you been keeping it at throughout?
I'm going to assume that you do not have a salt tested humidity gauge either Is that correct?

In this video notice how the top of the air cell has moved over towards the right which is the pointy end of the egg...
And notice the shadowy movement at the bottom of the air cell.
That movement at the bottom of the air cell happens before they internally pip.
The internal pip is the beak movement you will see at the top of the air cell in the last video.

Back
Top Bottom