Unsure if this is a scam bird, could you help?

My question is, anyone know if this really is a silver duckwing araucana? Or if that’s a real thing? Because id like to find a real breeder if so

There is a variety of Ameraucana called "Silver." That variety is the same color as "Silver Duckwing" in some other breeds.

For the birds in those photos, the top two are males. The light one would be the "Isabella Duckwing" mentioned in the text of the ad, and the darker one is probably Gold Duckwing.

The birds in the lower right photo would be the hens that they are calling Silver Duckwing and Gold Duckwing.

They do not show any rooster that could possibly be Silver Duckwing color (properly called "Silver" in Ameraucanas.)

Chickens that look like the ones in the photos can exist. Whether those exact ones do exist, or whether that person owns those actual chickens, I have no idea.

Edit: oops, the ad said "Araucana," while I was talking about "Ameraucana." They are two different breeds. Ameraucana are supposed to have tails, and muff/beard on the face (like those birds) but no crest on the head (so those birds are not right for Ameraucana.) In the USA, Araucanas are supposed to have ear tufts instead of muff/beard, no crest, and no tail. Those birds are absolutely not the USA version of Araucana. US Araucanas do come in Silver Duckwing and various other colors.

Those birds in the photo remind me of the Australian version of Araucanas, who have tails, crests, and muff/beard on the face. But I can't see why anyone in New York (USA) would be selling "Araucanas" bred to the standard of a different country without saying so.

Last edited:
*Not my pictures. But this is the real version:

Note: Isabel in Ameraucana is based on Wheaten (with Lavender). The birds in your pictures don't look like Araucana because those don't have tails (in the states). The only thing that throws me is those have a bit of a crest.

img-1492x.jpg
img-0857-copy.jpg
20200730_202803.jpg

I should also mention, bred to those hens, the resulting chicks will not be Isabel.

Lavender needs 2 copies of the gene to show. And the Wheaten base is recessive to black.
I still think the original picture looks blue shifted because even the dirt has a cast to it... Lavender truly looks like a light grey.

There is a variety of Ameraucana called "Silver." That variety is the same color as "Silver Duckwing" in some other breeds.

For the birds in those photos, the top two are males. The light one would be the "Isabella Duckwing" mentioned in the text of the ad, and the darker one is probably Gold Duckwing.

The birds in the lower right photo would be the hens that they are calling Silver Duckwing and Gold Duckwing.

They do not show any rooster that could possibly be Silver Duckwing color (properly called "Silver" in Ameraucanas.)

Chickens that look like the ones in the photos can exist. Whether those exact ones do exist, or whether that person owns those actual chickens, I have no idea.

Edit: oops, the ad said "Araucana," while I was talking about "Ameraucana." They are two different breeds. Ameraucana are supposed to have tails, and muff/beard on the face (like those birds) but no crest on the head (so those birds are not right for Ameraucana.) In the USA, Araucanas are supposed to have ear tufts instead of muff/beard, no crest, and no tail. Those birds are absolutely not the USA version of Araucana. US Araucanas do come in Silver Duckwing and various other colors.

Those birds in the photo remind me of the Australian version of Araucanas, who have tails, crests, and muff/beard on the face. But I can't see why anyone in New York (USA) would be selling "Araucanas" bred to the standard of a different country without saying so.
That you so much for the info!

There was a post on FB with this beautiful rooster. I and a few others commented on wanting eggs from this bird in the Spring. They only comment once to the first poster saying “okay”

They posted in both a New York poultry page and a Texas page. I believe they might be a scammer based on searching their profile.

My question is, anyone know if this really is a silver duckwing araucana? Or if that’s a real thing? Because id like to find a real breeder if so
the silver araucana is definitely photoshopped.

The photos don’t look altered to me and the colors look correct. However, they could definitely be using someone else’s photos or using their own photos and scamming people anyway.
I agree. These appear to be British/Australian Araucanas. To my knowledge they're not in the US yet or if they are, are incredibly rare. I would assume due to that that these images were taken from a legitimate breeder overseas. :) I would be incredibly wary.

Back
Top Bottom