Unsure what the issue is

Spook241

In the Brooder
May 2, 2021
One of my hens has stopped laying eggs a few days ago, I then noticed she was panting/gasping for breath. However it’s not all the time.

I have thought maybe she is egg bound (her vent does seem to moving quite often) or it’s possibly gapeworm.

I have never had a hen with gapeworm - if it was gapeworm would the hen be struggling to breath all the time or would it come and go? Also would gapeworm stop egg production?

Or is it more likely she is egg bound and stress is causing her breathing to be weird?

I did give her an Epsom salt bath this morning just in case, but all it seemed to do was make her breathing worse until again she settled down and seemed to be breathing normal again.

I’m in Northern Ireland so it’s relatively mild just a lot of rain.
Okay. Hens can’t survive being egg bound for more than 48-50 hours, so it’s likely she stopped laying because of stress or other reasons. It sounds like she does have gapeworm. I’m sorry.

Oh my. Seems like gapeworm to me. I would bring her to the vet, but she still might not make it. Sorry if she doesn't. Again, though, I would recommend bringing her to the local vet's clinic. Good luck! Hope she's ok. <3

Back
Top Bottom