unsure what to feed my male peacock who free ranges with chicken hens

Thanguysgreat ideas, i just wanted to make sure if he ate the egg layer food which I'm sure he will he'd still be ok if he creep feeds on it. My other concern is he just turned 3 and his tail feathers are only about 3ft long and his tail isn't very full. Is that normal at this age? Idk if it's cause he's a coming 3 year old and its fall so he's losing them or he's missing something more nutritionally. He free ranges my property.

Yes by late winter his train will be much longer. Even the older peacocks will have short trains at this time of year. After breeding season all peacocks shed their train to re-grow a new one. Right now all of my peacocks have 3ft. long trains as well.

Yes by late winter his train will be much longer. Even the older peacocks will have short trains at this time of year. After breeding season all peacocks shed their train to re-grow a new one. Right now all of my peacocks have 3ft. long trains as well.

Wow, all mine are only a few inches. Isn't this the time to boost the feed for growing strong and colorful trains?

Wow, all mine are only a few inches. Isn't this the time to boost the feed for growing strong and colorful trains?

Keep the climate difference in mind. My older India Blue male didn't start to drop his train until the first week of Sept. he is still dropping small eye feathers and nothing new has grown in yet. Her's may have molted in June? My whites did and they are growing in already.

Too funny, I was just looking at the boys this morning... I have two IB males that are exactly the same age, from the same nest of eggs. One has quite a bit of new tail coming in already, and the other one is still totally bald... The opal silver pied male is still dragging a bunch of feathers (but no eye feathers) from last season. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom