Unusual behavior by my hens

I wouldn't switch to layer until all are laying. Switching too soon can slow down growth and maturity. Just put out a separate dish of oyster shells and keep them on a grower.

I think she/he had a mental fahrt.
typed roost, but meant nests...
I hope !!

ETA . whoops, two people got here before I finished typing. but I was correct, LOL (my smilies don't work)

........jiminwisc.....

Make sure the roost bar is higher than the nesting boxes. Chickens like to roost at the highest point. Block off those nesting boxes until they start showing that they are ready to lay. If you think the roosting bar is too high, build them a ramp.

It continues to be interesting. I have a camera so that I can watch them anytime from my computer. Seems that Raven (male) is causing quite a commotion. Now that I've sanctioned off the boxes, I've also fenced off a corner spot next to them. The rooster is causing a brothel and the hens line up to get to him. I'm afraid that that is what they were using the boxes for. I still have about 5 weeks before any eggs should appear. Need to figure out when I can un-tape the nesting boxes so the behavior will not continue? Do you think I should start as suggested with the oyster shells at 14 weeks old? This whole situation has been a very unusual twist for me.

I have four fourteen week old cockerals, they used to sleep there, but now they roost on a box that is in the coop as well as roosting bars but the hens peck them off. I think they feel safer and more secure packed in there. They will grow out of it. I just let mine and it is not a habit or problem at all with older hens and cocks i have let sleep in there. They like it, just let them.

Back
Top Bottom