Unusual egg

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rahabsmom, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Rahabsmom

Rahabsmom New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Amagansett, Long Island NY
    Hello to all the chicken experts!
    I am learning .. I acquired my hens one at a time. My little Red is a precious girl. She was a stray and is now mine . She is a little skinny thing and has such a great personality and lays the largest of the 3. The other 2 are black hens Annabelle who is a nasty grumpy hen who picks on little red mostly at feeding time and sleeping perch rights. Rahab is the middle girl, she and Annabelle were together before Lil Red came in the picture. My question is Little Red is laying strange eggs. The shell is thin and gritty . Last week she Laid a double yolk oh yum!!
    I feed them organic layer , occasionally the mealy worms, organic scratch, and they kind of like the rooster mix scratch, own egg shells and veggies and what ever else I know they like in moderation. Is it too much calcium? Not enough?
    They roam freely and have a nice size pen when they have to be indoors until I get home from work ( early morning job )
    Some input would be greatly appreciated .
    I did read some prior posts about the soft egg theory, however could it be stress because Annabelle is just terrible to her and one day Annabelle may find herself in the pot!
    Thank you

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    There are a number of causes for soft/odd shelled eggs. Sickness, stress, too little calcium, very young, very old... If you haven't had her long it could be dietary. Consider trying oyster shell as a source of calcium. I really don't think it's Annabelle's behavior. Being picked on seems to be a part of a chicken's life. I have had hens lay softer shelled eggs due to age; young or old. Hopefully this will correct itself. Good luck.

3. Rahabsmom

Rahabsmom New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Thank you! Being I am new at this I don't want to hurt my chicks . Oyster shells here I come . I will post progress!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.[​IMG]

Like @nchls school said, many factors can influence egg laying and formation. Stress and lack of food, water or calcium are the (usual) too main causes for thin shells. However, age can influence thin shells. But sometimes a hen will just lay odd eggs. Make sure that your hens are all receiving 12-16 hours of sunlight, plenty of room to roam, access to food, water and calcium and also make sure they are not sick or injured.

5. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG]

6. Rahabsmom

Rahabsmom New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Thank you! They have plenty for sun and fresh water is always out for them. Little Red doesn't seem sick. I don't know how I should know if she is. She just came in to visit me , I picked her up chatted for a few minutes she seems fine to me. Always hungry like a grub hound. I gave her some fresh tomatoes some pecans . I will keep my eye on her. The other 2 are fine, they buddy together and red hangs with them and when Annabelle is up in the nest Rahab and LilRed pal around and get along just fine . Rahab looks young so does LilRed . thank you so much, I appreciate all the input. I love my lil henny and Rahab too. Annabelle reminds me of Carol Channing yes that voice ! Lol I like her too just don't like the pecking order in the chicken world.
    Blessings to all of you!
    Renée

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

8. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I'm not sure how mean Annabelle is, but wanted to tell you a story about one of my mean chickens. Vidalia is a big white Orpington who used to be unfriendly and I almost gave her away to a friend who raises meat chickens. She was never nice to the other chickens and would peck me if I tried to touch her. I don't know why, but I started singling her out for attention and fussing over her, giving her treats and petting her. It took awhile but she came around and she's actually a nice girl now. Maybe you'll be able to win Annabelle over.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Since Lil Red was a stray(?) maybe she has never been wormed and needs it. I believe you said she was skinny one but good eater.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by