Unusual large mite/louse - found on turkeys and peafowl - Identification?

QueenMisha

Queen of the Coop
9 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Placerville, California, USA
I saw one of these on one of my turkeys about 3-4 months ago. It disappeared before I could catch it and I never found any more. I assumed it was just some kind of freakishly large common poultry louse.

Then I found these on one of my peafowl today. Realizing it was the same thing, I just grabbed the three or four feathers they were crawling on and pulled them out (sorry Sweet Pea!). I managed to catch two of them on the feathers. They are flat, brown with black stripes, shaped like a bowling pin, and freakishly huge - about 2-3 times the size of an adult fowl louse. Can anyone help with a species ID? Will permethrin dust kill them?

"Chicken Body Louse" ? Looks like that could be it.
I would think that poultry dust should kill them.
Let us know how it goes.

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2402&Itemid=2667

The Body Louse doesn't look quite right (seems like it may be the same thing I've always called simply the "poultry louse", but on that link, the one just above it looks really similar - a poultry Head Louse. It even mentions it being commonly found on turkeys. On both the turkey and the peafowl I did find the insect on the neck of the bird.

Last edited:
The Body Louse doesn't look quite right (seems like it may be the same thing I've always called simply the "poultry louse", but on that link, the one just above it looks really similar - a poultry Head Louse. It even mentions it being commonly found on turkeys. On both the turkey and the peafowl I did find the insect on the neck of the bird.

Uggghhh...the thought of the things make me itchy
sad.png

Hopefully the permethrin dust will take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom