Unusual looking chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pupsnpullets, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I have a 7 week old pullet which I'm trying to figure out what she could be. Sorry no pics (she wouldn't stay still!). She looks just like a white leghorn and she's going to have a leghorn type comb but she has 2 or 3 black feathers and grey legs. Any ideas?

Barb

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Where did you get her? It almost sounds like it is an austra-white, they are known to have black flecks and darker legs. They are a cross between australorps and leghorns.

3. Pupsnpullets

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Thanks FMP, I think you are right on the money!! They came from a backyard breeder lady who has about 30 hens of just about every standard layer known to man including white leghorn, and 2 or 3 roosters one of which is a RIR-Australorpe! Bingo. This pullet I have is lovely and hopefully will be good layer. Do you know if austra-whites are sexlink?

Barb

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Now that is moderator material right there!!!! Super moderator even!

5. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Thanks Lurky. No, they are not a sexlink, it is a white leghorn roo on australorp hens. If the mating was the other way around it would be a sexlink (australorp roo on white leghorn hens).

6. Pupsnpullets

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    So I'm thinking that if there was black australorpe rooster over a white leghorn hen, the resulting babies would be white female & black male??????

Barb

7. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    If it was a black roo over white hens, then the males would be mostly white and the females would be mostly black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by