Unusual mold issue

firewalker1

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 2, 2015
littleton Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
I went on vacation and forgot to empty my counter compost into my large compost bin. I got back the night before my 48hr shift and threw a veggie in there and noticed it was incredibly moldy and thought to dump it but completely spaced. Long story short my son and father decided it would be a great idea to dump it in the chicken run yesterday evening. My dad told me tonight that he gave the chickens and ducks the compost and they really enjoyed it. I get home tomorrow morning and I’m hoping I don’t come home to a dead flock. It was a gallon sized composter 3/4 full and very grey and fuzzy. If they are all still alive what should I do if anything? How long does mold poisoning take to show up?
Thank you in advance.

I went on vacation and forgot to empty my counter compost into my large compost bin. I got back the night before my 48hr shift and threw a veggie in there and noticed it was incredibly moldy and thought to dump it but completely spaced. Long story short my son and father decided it would be a great idea to dump it in the chicken run yesterday evening. My dad told me tonight that he gave the chickens and ducks the compost and they really enjoyed it. I get home tomorrow morning and I’m hoping I don’t come home to a dead flock. It was a gallon sized composter 3/4 full and very grey and fuzzy. If they are all still alive what should I do if anything? How long does mold poisoning take to show up?
Thank you in advance.
I have dealt with mould twice
First time I was away and my daughter wasn’t cleaning the tray that held feed and water. She only cleaned the dishes
When we got back after a week away
I saw mould in feed that had got wet
My young ducks voice was almost gone
Took him to the vet and he had a fever was given amoxicillin and was better in a week
Second time was I dumped a fresh bag of shavings in the pen that had mould at the bottom
I tried to get it all cleaned up but one of my ducks ended up with aspergillosis in her vent area then her urethra
We also had bacterial infections
She was given 3 types of antibiotics plus still finishing the 90 day fungal meds
Both my ducks recovered
My first one who ate mouldy feed was about 7 weeks at the time is going to be 2 in July
have meds on hand to start treatment
Baytril and amoxicillin cover many infections
You could also start them on colloidal silver as it’s a natural to cure bacterial , fungal and viral infections
Others may have more ideas
Good luck and keep us posted
I did also have a dog get into some kids lunch kit that was thrown in our very back yard
He needed meds asap
He had seizures and couldn’t balance at all. I searched my yard and found a lunch kit with a half tore open mouldy ( green and fuzzy ) sandwich
school had been out for well over a month
So it was bad

Can you get some activated charcoal for them? I'm not sure that it will help in this case, and it's best used immediately after poisoning, but it is a common treatment for ingesting a number of toxins including some produced by mold like mycotoxins.

I hope your flock is ok. Let us know how they do.

It’s been over 48hrs and I didn’t see anything weird today. Spent most of the day in my backyard (too much yard work) and so I was able to watch them a lot. Hoping they stay healthy.

Also if anyone has any ideas of how to catch a fox that would be awesome. It took out my kids favorite chicken, and my wife caught it running off with my kids second favorite last week. The dog was able to chase it until it dropped the chicken. She made a full recovery.

A live trap works great, then relocate.

If allowed, I do recommend killing the fox if you'd like them to indefinitely leave the flock alone. Even if you relocate miles away, it is possible they will find their way back since they have already had a taste. You will absolutely want to check with local fish and game or law enforcement to make sure it is permitted to do so, and if you need any sort of tag. They may also come out and trap the fox for you.

Back
Top Bottom