Rales and crop not fully empty in morning

Vampire Gardener

Chirping
Apr 25, 2023
I have 9 chickens that are 11 months old. One girl is acting a bit odd. Her name is Beatrice and she's a Wyandotte.

On 3/13/2024, I moved their coop to a new location in my yard. I had never done this before. I put all of them in their playpen (a mobile area of about 100 sq feet). I put them in their playpen each day while I clean up their coop and run. They were in the playpen for about 3-4 hours when they are normally only there for an hour. They had access to water and shade so I don't think that could do anything. But it was the hottest day we have had so far this spring with outside temps to 77 degrees.

Their new coop location is closer to where I have had compost and there is a chance she and the others might have gotten into something that was composted 6+ months ago. I don't think there should be anything newer than that. I did put up an electric fence so they shouldn't be able to get to the compost, but I'm afraid she might have found something nearby.

The first two nights in there coop in its new location I noticed a handful of the birds were breathing with their mouths open at night. I thought maybe they got stressed or dehydrated. I don't think they were dehydrated because they had access to water, but I did move the coop so maybe the stress was too much for them?

The mouth breathing at night only lasted a few nights. I have live cameras in the coop and have been watching them periodically so I noticed that the open mouth breathing improved.

Yesterday (3/19), I noticed Beatrice seemed to be a bit lethargic. She laid on the ground and on the edge of their dust bin. Today when I put them back in their run after their playpen time, I had to pick her up because she didn't want to go in the run. I normally coax them with treats but she wanted to walk around instead. I picked her up and noticed her crop was full ( I don't think that is bad, since she has had access to food for a few hours already) but she had this growling type of breath that was new. She wasn't growling at me, just odd sounding breathing.

A couple hours later I went out to the run and she was standing up around with the other girls. I gave them some of my leftover apple to see if she would eat and she took two pieces. She seemed to be slower than the others but she did want the treat. Then she went and laid down under the coop as did a few of my other girls. She just seems to be a bit slower with growling breath.

We've had some crazy weather flucations for our area and a lot of wind the past few days. High of 77 and low of 30 with winds in excess of 10 mph.

Any advice would be appreciated!

More information:

1) What type of bird , age and weight - Wyandotte, 11 months and normal weight. No weight change.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lethargic, laying on ground, growling breath.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Recent symptoms 2 days (stress trigger? Week ago)
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Laying on ground - yes , lethargic - no, growling - no.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No signs of trauma
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. (see above - moved coop, weather and potential access to compost pile).
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I did see her eat laying pellets yesterday and today and couple pieces of apple today. They free range for an hour before bed in an area with bushes, centipede grass, fruit trees, and pine bark mulch (no fruit yet). Their playpen has fescue and dirt mostly and they are in there for about an hour in late morning (11-12 ish time frame).
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? Seems normal. I've had to clean her butt twice in the past two months. She doesn't crouch like the others when she poops so on occasion her back end gets dirty. Nothing is covering her vent, just her feathers.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I have just been watching her closely and changed out their waterers to make sure there was not mold or algae. I give them fresh water in 4 different waterers each day but one of them gets a bit of sun so I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything bad in there. Nothing noticeable. I did move the electric fence farther from the compost pile.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would prefer to treat myself, but will call my vet if need to. He's not cheap and money is an issue right now as I am not working, but I don't want her to suffer if that is what needs to happen.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - Nothing picture worthy at this point, just a chicken laying on the ground. Will try to get audio, but the growly breathing is quiet, not loud like a cat purr.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. In the coop they have pine shavings on the floor, under the roosts and in the nesting boxes. In the run I bring in dried leaves. In the playpen it is just dirt ground and grass. There are a lot of leaves in their forage area. Could a moldy leaf be an issue? Should I remove the dry leaves?

Thanks!!!
Erica

I just caught her on Chicken Cam eating layer pellets. She seems to have a good appetite. So, I went outside to the coop to observe closer. I haven't noticed any eye involvement and she doesn't appear to be sneezing or coughing either. Her rose comb and waddles are nice and red in color and she did drink water on her own. She just seems sluggish. I caught her laying down on the ground with her eyes closed. I didn't hear the breathing with the growl this time, but I couldn't get close enough to her to hear it without startling her and she moved away. When she moved away, she ate and got water. If it wasn't for the growling breath I heard when I picked her up, I'd think she just didn't sleep enough last night. Her tail is pointed up.

Last edited:
It is morning and I only slept 4 hours trying to research what is wrong with Beatrice.

I let them out of their coop this morning and into their run and Beatrice had a firm but smaller crop. It definitely went down in size from golf ball size at bed time to me thinking it was flat when I looked at her but it still poked out slightly more than others when I felt that area. She went for the food just like my other girls do every morning. She seemed to move okay and ate till she had a small yet bigger buldge. Not full like before bed but it was clear it was bigger. Maybe a 1/12th to an 1/8th of a cup of food - layer pellets. I'm sure she will eat more since I left her in the run with everyone else.

I looked down her throat and I couldn't see much just her mouth and shadow in the area where her throat is. Her mouth looked clear but I'll try to look again later when my husband can help. I didn't notice a smell, but it is morning and with allergies I don't think I could smell anything right now.

She slept in the same place on the roost all night (from what I could tell in the chicken cam - I looked about every hour or so) and her poop looks normal to me. Dark brownish in color with some white cap.

When I held her both times this am she was quiet, no bocks or rales. However, when I checked on them overnight I could hear her rales.

No discharge or sneezing or coughing.

To sum up, I don't think her crop emptied completely overnight though there definitely was a decrease in size. It was still firm but not doughy at all. Good poop quantity compared to my other girls and color and texture was good. I assuming she was/is compacted. Next steps?

I gave her some coconut oil to help with a potential slow crop. I intended to massage her but she wouldn't let me get close enough. She did take maybe 3/4-1 tsp of unrefined coconut oil. She did eat a bunch more of crumbles that I added water to make mushy. All my girls love that but I don't do it all the time. She did make the gurgling rales sound again a few times when I've been near her.

I have VetRx from a chicken preparedness kit, but wondering if I should give it or something else. Anyone?

It is morning and I only slept 4 hours trying to research what is wrong with Beatrice.
I'm still reading all your posts before a more full reply if I'm able or have any ideas.. but your not alone in this.

I don't care for or recommend vet rx.. it's the same thing as vicks vapor rub.. which despite making by breath feel cold as a child.. didn't actually do a lot else.

Also what I've seen so far in your posts.. maybe this article will be helpful..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

And for informational purposes.. what you're describing as rales.. *could* even be something she aspirated if she is having crop issues.. Though you describe gurgling and I think of crackling.. I wonder if there is a difference or it's just different word descriptions?

ETA: I guess the only thing I have to add after reading more thoroughly is that if you still feel the need to massage her crop.. it can be done without chasing her, after dark by taking her off roost.

:fl

Last edited:
I'm still reading all your posts before a more full reply if I'm able or have any ideas.. but your not alone in this.

I don't care for or recommend vet rx.. it's the same thing as vicks vapor rub.. which despite making by breath feel cold as a child.. didn't actually do a lot else.

Also what I've seen so far in your posts.. maybe this article will be helpful..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

And for informational purposes.. what you're describing as rales.. *could* even be something she aspirated if she is having crop issues.. Though you describe gurgling and I think of crackling.. I wonder if there is a difference or it's just different word descriptions?

ETA: I guess the only thing I have to add after reading more thoroughly is that if you still feel the need to massage her crop.. it can be done without chasing her, after dark by taking her off roost.

:fl
Thanks! I'll try massaging her this evening. Should I give something other than VetRx? Or just wait and see if the crackling gets better?

I read that article last night and then again just now. I appreciate it, it definitely helps. I think we are talking about the same noise. I tried to add an audio file but I can't seem to do that for some reason. I get the message that it needs to be a .jpg, or other image file, etc.

Crackling is a good way to describe the sound. It is not consistent so I do agree that she might have aspirated. She still seems to want to eat, drink, keep her tail up and move around but she likes to lie down on the ground too and she hasn't laid an egg today. She might have laid yesterday morning, but I'm trying to keep an eye on her since I noticed everything. Hoping she lays before bedtime or at least by early tomorrow morning. Vent still clean so we'll see. Thanks again! All advice is appreciated as I'm still very new to issues.

Back
Top Bottom