Unusual predator

Ponyiqandhens2

Songster
Nov 5, 2022
South Louisiana
A heads up.i knew my rooster was confused the last 2 days.. we normally have red tail and red shouldered hawks, kites, kestrals, occassional bald eagles, turkey vultures..Timmy has a strong warning when he sees those..we also get lots of cow birds and egrets..wegot a ton of rain the last couple days..the last couple days i have seen an endangered crane and a heron that swooped in pretty low and landed in the water. I was unaware they would eat a chick..timmy did the strangest sounds not his normal alert.. i left to gocheck horses and lost my blue ameraucana juvenile (8 weeks old) i asked the wildlife and fishery guy that lives on my road and he said its rare but they will eat younger chicks or ducklings..and they will follow one they dont necessarily swoop but will walk up to a nest or roost..learned something new.. weonly see them a couple times a year..the doves were out a bunch of song birds and the kites...but it was interesting to learn

Thanks for the heads up. I never thought about it before, but I'm not surprised. Herons visit my pond all the time and gobble down big bullfrogs and catfish. They could easily take a chick or duckling if they wanted to.

Thanks for the heads up. I never thought about it before, but I'm not surprised. Herons visit my pond all the time and gobble down big bullfrogs and catfish. They could easily take a chick or duckling if they wanted to.
My mistake for not being concerned..my rooster sort of gave a weird non standard aerial predator alert.i think he got confused as we have lots of cow birds and egrets..which never threaten..

I grew up around herons and cranes and knew both will steal duck eggs but never thought about a chick or duckling, apparently i have learnedfrom several locals if they are hungry its not their preferred meal but they are oppotunistic

Back
Top Bottom