Unusual quail colour

LittleGecko

Songster
Jul 5, 2014
Hi everyone
I am posting on behalf of my daughter (age 8).
She started keeping Coturnix quail this year (She has been interested in them for a couple of years and the other half and I decided that she is both ready and serious so we helped her get started)
We bought a group of four quail, one male and 3 females. The hens are two pharohs and a tuxedo, but the male is a bit more difficult. He has pharoh type colour on the body, a white patch under the chin and bright iridescent blue feathers on top of his head! I have not seen any colour of Coturnix quail with iridescent blue feathers anywhere on the body in any photos online and we are curious as to wether this is something anyone else has seen on their birds? She is hoping to hatch some eggs next year and wondering if this trait will be passed on (other kids want computer games for Christmas, my girl wants an incubator!). Any ideas? Will post a photo in a bit!

Last edited:
Here are the photos, it is a blue iridescent sheen on the head feathers, from some angles it doesn't show, but he has had it ever since she first got him when he was six weeks old.
IMG_20200816_1807179.jpg
IMG_20200816_1806241.jpg
IMG_20200816_1807135.jpg

Bizarre! Looks like he’s otherwise a Rosetta, sometimes the black in their feathers can be dark and iridescent but never anything like that, definitely breed that fella!
That's the plan! He sometimes raises the feathers on the back of his head sometimes and then they really catch the light! We are hoping that it is a trait he will pass on.

Back
Top Bottom