Unusual Request

Black Astrolorp, Buff Orpingtons, Speckled Sussex and Bielefelder, 2 each. Lost one in route. Not sure which breed yet.

The "rocks" are oyster shell.

Thanks for the tip............I'll pull it out of the box next trip out. Thought they were too large for those tiny beaks.

Black Astrolorp, Buff Orpingtons, Speckled Sussex and Bielefelder, 2 each. Lost one in route. Not sure which breed yet.

Great choices!
It looks like the lost one was a Speckled Sussex.
I drew on your picture...
Chickie 2-half.jpg

I pretty much had that figured out..............but.......................there are three chicks that resemble Rocky Mountain Chipmonks and they are the Sussex and Bielfelder. In the picture the one you've labled Bielfelder just "looks" slightly lighter but the three of them together look like a set of triplets. :plbb

I pretty much had that figured out..............but.......................there are three chicks that resemble Rocky Mountain Chipmonks and they are the Sussex and Bielfelder. In the picture the one you've labled Bielfelder just "looks" slightly lighter but the three of them together look like a set of triplets. :plbb

Totally understandable, chipmunk chicks!

The Speckled Sussex just tend to be a bit darker :)

Okay, thanks. Now I know I lost one of the Bielfelders. Shame too. I was looking forward to two Bielfelders. But I'll just have to be satisfied with 7 healthy chicks and thank my God for them. :thumbsup

Well, I don't have a really fancy cell-phone but here ya go. Besides, with my eye surgery I'm lucky I can see the shutter release on my screen. :idunno

View attachment 3460686

They are adorable.

I concur -- they don't need oystershell until they reach Point-of-Lay (~20-24 weeks more or less).

I don't give chicks an entire container of grit. I was taught to just sprinkle a little lightly on top of their feed -- as if salting it. They only need a very tiny amount.

Okay, thanks for the tips. I went through this process with 24 chicks but it was back in 2009 and I think I've forgotten more than I learned. :he

Murray McMurray sent me an email earlier this week saying my chickies would be shipping the week of April 3rd. Said they'd ship on the 3rd, 4th or 5th. A couple of weeks ago I was scheduled for a two-eye surgery. Surgeon is going to cut the muscles in both eyes and realign things. And, of course, it turns out the surgery is on the 5th of April !!!!!! I contacted Murray McMurray to see if they could hold the shipment until the 5th so the chicks would arrive a few days after my surgery for sure. They said no. Guess you can't control mother nature, right????? So I might be stumbling around with two eye patches on trying to take care of chicks.

Okay, my unusual request. I believe heavily in the power of prayer so I'm asking everyone I know to pray that my chickies don't leave the hatchery until the 5th of April. 🐤 Since we are all comrades in this chicken "thing" I'm asking the same of all of you...............if you're the prayin' type. Would be much appreciated. :clap
Praying for you. I hope all goes well, including your surgery. Sending lots of love.

Back
Top Bottom