Unvaccinated chicks, vaccinated hens

pattycake

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
fingerlakes, ny
I'm getting some new chicks from the feed store tomorrow, and it occurred to me that they might not be vaccinated against Marek's. Will they be in danger from my older vaccinated hens somehow? I don't plan on mixing the flocks for a month or more, but still.

I've been doing this a year, and still, I'm nervous about the new arrivals!

:eek:

The virus in the vaccine is different from the one that causes the disease. Your new babies will be at risk from Mareks in the environment itself, but not from the other birds.

Thanks, Jody!

I just called the feed store to ask, and they said, "your chicks are here early!"

Whee! I just picked them up.

They had no idea what I was talking about when I asked if they'd been vaccinated against Mareks.
roll.png

Ok I have a newbie question. So if I end up with a roo and have chicks someday, how do I vaccinate them? Or do I vaccinate the hen so she passes it on to the chicks?

Quote:
Ask the feed store where they got them .... then call the hatchery and ask if that order was vaccinated.

Quote:
If you hatch them in an incubator, you can give them the shot. If you let the hen incubate them, they will probably be exposed before you are able to vaccinate. You can actually vaccinate your feed store babies even if they are a few days old. They have probably never been exposed to the outdoors, adult poultry or wild birds. Keep in mind that other shoppers in the feed store might have brought Mareks contamination in with them. I have talked to vets and have been told that the vaccination can still be effective if given when they are a few days old. The manufacturer of the vaccine recommends the shot for day olds because they assume contamination in brooder houses, etc. I even called the manufacturer once and talked to their people about this. The Vaccine is cheap. $13 - $15 for a amount that covers 1000 birds (thats the smallest quantity they sell). I bought a bottle and vaccinated 23 this year. 57 cents per baby is cheap compared to the heartbreak of Mareks.

Hi there

I have never vacinated any of our incubated babies but all the moms and dads are vaccinated. Wouldn't know where to start. Do you just vaccinate on a big scale or do little coops need to worry aswell.

Pretty new to all this!

Thanks
Nicola.

Last edited:
It won't do any good to vaccinate an adult that was not vaccinated as a chick. Some people give boosters to adults that were vaccinated as babies, but I don't know if it does any good or not.

Back
Top Bottom