unwanted broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mrs Stumpgrinder, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Mrs Stumpgrinder

Mrs Stumpgrinder In the Brooder

May 24, 2009
    South Carolina
    I have one of my BR hens starting to go broody on me. I collect eggs everyday at the same time, so there are no eggs for her to set on. How do I convince her that she doesn't need to set. Now I have another hen starting grrr [​IMG]

what can be done? She was a good layer and now she has none

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    lol send her to me [​IMG]
    i want a broody soooooo bad but idk anything that coud stop them. But if u hve a roo put some eggs under her u might s well use her lol. sorry i'm no help

3. Mrs Stumpgrinder

Mrs Stumpgrinder In the Brooder

May 24, 2009
    South Carolina
    I have a roo and 6 other hens in the same pen. Will I need to serperate the hen went she is ready to hatch out. I just hatched 37 chicks, (my husband will kill me if I have any more [​IMG] ) Have 40 more in the bator [​IMG]

4. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Songster

You put her in a jail where she has no straw or bedding, just wire and perches to sit on for a couple days.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Yeah, that's what I was gonna say....

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Or an open-bottom cage. If her belly gets cold she will give up. Some people try ice beneath the broody but that didn't work for us.

7. yellowroseli

yellowroseli In the Brooder

Nov 22, 2008
    I had the same problem last week. My girl went broody on me and she found herself in lockdown.....[​IMG]

Put her is a cage, I use a dog crate , and in 3-5 days she should be broken. This worked for me.
    Hope this is some help.

8. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I'd let her sit, honestly,

we had a hen who went broody, didn't hatch anything, got off being broody for about a week, then was RIGHT back where she started LOL, this same hen will hopefully be hatching out atleast 10 chicks in 9 days! [​IMG]

they can be VERY determined

9. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Songster

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    If you were closer I would trade a hen for her. I have had my hens for two years now and no one will go broody and I want a broody hen with chicks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: