Up-to-Date Feeds with Animal Protein?

I don't have an answer, but a few suggestions. I found that buying feed online for a small flock is cost prohibitive. Even if I'm getting the exact product I want, it's not so much better than what I can buy locally that it's worth 3 times the price in shipping. Shipping feed is expensive. I look at what feeds are carried locally and then compare them and select the best of those options. I also get to support local business this way. Also talk to the person who does the ordering at your local shop, often they can special order you feed and get it shipped with all of theirs and you can avoid the shipping charges. Generally if you do this it would have to be a brand they already carry, but perhaps a different variety. For example I was able to order a 40lb bag of feed that they only carried the 20lb bag in the store and save some money, or I can order the all flock feed when in the store they only carry the chicken layer. Others mentioned shelf life. One of the things I factor into my feed decision is if the feed mill where it is processed is in state, and all other factors are relatively equal, I go with the locally processed feed in hopes that it will be fresher.

Also @Cindy in PA! This was so lucky, oh my goodness. You said that you get a local source, yeah? I've never been to Fleetwood, but we're actually an hour's drive out! What do you happen to use, and where do you get it from?

The local source is a Mennonite farmer, Panorama Organic, 85 Mud Run Rd., Oley, PA 19547 Phone 610-987-3898.He has both soy & no soy feed, all whole/cracked grain mash. The soy layer (16%) did not have fish meal, but I believe the soy Broiler grower (19%) did have fish meal. His no soy layer & broiler both have fish & crab meal. It is certified organic if you buy a ton, transitional organic (not shown as certified) if you buy the 80 lb. bags. No soy was going for $32/80lbs. & $35/80 lbs the last time I was there. I haven't been there since last year, so you could call & verify if he has changed anything. I switched to Nature's Best Organic pellets, as we were going away a lot and they worked better in the feeder. Many farmers in the area & Lancaster area use his no soy feeds. He has a dairy & sells the milk to Organic Valley. He sells other animal feed also. I may be going back to him soon.
The Mazuri Game Bird feed was ordered through Oley Valley Feed when I used it a few years ago. They are a Purina Dealer. They will order it for you. Oley Feed started carrying Scratch & Peck Naturally Free feeds awhile ago. I just picked some grower up last week for $31.99/40 lbs. Quite pricey compared to the local stuff, but not quite as dusty as I remember the other feed. I am just supplementing with this right now. Not sure if it worth twice the price of Panorama's! Really nice feed, however.
Depending which way you are away from me, there is also Organic Unlimited in Atglen, Chester County. They have no soy feed that has crab meal in it, but not fishmeal. Still, it is some animal protein. My closet outlet for that is Pughtown Agway in Spring City, PA. Hope this helps!

Oh my gosh this is so informational!! Thank you for taking the time to write all of that, I'll look into all of those, this is awesome!! :D

Oh my gosh this is so informational!! Thank you for taking the time to write all of that, I'll look into all of those, this is awesome!! :D
Just a thought, not knowing which direction is the hour away, Oley Feed also owns Harleysville Feed & should have the same things, special order Mazuri or Scratch & Peck.

I agree that all poultry diets aren't created equal, although they are, ON AVERAGE, better than many dog and cat diets offered, IMO.
What's available locally of good quality, fresh, is what we feed, and here I've been very happy with my choice. Local mills were not better!
The 'vegetarian fed' issue is silly, but animal parts do cost more, and that's a factor in feed production too. And good balanced diets do have the right mix of essential amino acids added, so in spite of not having fish meal, they are fine.
Locally there are NO diets available that include animal protein for chickens! At one time that wasn't true, but it is now. And I haven't noticed any changes in my flock because of this. Free ranging, they get their own animal protein, except now in the cold snowy time of year.
Mary

You might be able to acquire fish meal or shrimp head meal and add it to the standard all vegetable formulation. Having resulting diet as fed 5 to 10% animal is what I have used. We used to use rough fish acquired from the Ohio River and refuse from the butcher. Impacts on egg flavor can be worth considering.

When it comes to animal protein; think outside of the box. I feed a very affordable locally produced lay pellet ration. $11.00 and pocket change. They lay quite well and I'm not seeing any problems on these pellets alone plus cracked corn on the side every day.

In regards to supplementing with animal protein, first look inside your home. After thanksgiving I looped a string through the turkey carcass and hung it off a t-post. The flock had stripped the bit and pieces of meat off the bones as well as a horde of fire ants. Just because those left over pork chops, or meat balls or hamburgers aren't up to our standards after a couple weeks in the frig doesn't mean the chickens wont appreciate it. Once you gt in tune, it is shocking how much good protein is wasted in the kitchen.

Rabbits. Another free source of protein. Build a box trap. Chickens won't go through the fur but rabbits can be skinned siply by turning the inside out in a manner of speaking. Cut them in half, hang on a string from a t-post. Catch as many as you can and freeze the excess. Tree rats also. Use a snap trap and catch mice and rats and toss them in the run. Learn how to use a cast net and catch non game fish. There is a lot of free protein out there to be had with creative thinking.

For those of you in PA. The heart of your feed is the vitamin pack followed by the animal protein, generally fish/crab meal. IMHO the best manufacturer of those ingredients is Fertrell located in bainbridge. They also work with their customers and provide nutritionists to ensure mills are making a high quality feed. The first question I ask when talking to a feed producer is: Do you use Fertrell?

For those of you in PA. The heart of your feed is the vitamin pack followed by the animal protein, generally fish/crab meal. IMHO the best manufacturer of those ingredients is Fertrell located in bainbridge. They also work with their customers and provide nutritionists to ensure mills are making a high quality feed. The first question I ask when talking to a feed producer is: Do you use Fertrell?
My local soy free farmer is a Fertrell dealer. You are right, they are the best!

Back
Top Bottom