Up to my ears in chickens.......

hugs.gif

I will definately look into getting an australorp rooster. My mailing is 59833 can you see how much it would costto ship one rooster. I would love to take one off your hands. I have 8 austraolorp hens but I only have a buff Orpington rooster. I was wondering if you know about shipping chickens? If not it would be a great time to learn.

I recently had a similar situation. I am raising 30 pullets for egglayers this year, and already had 25 hens in the coop. When I moved the pullets out of the brooder coop and into the regular coop....OY!!! 55 chickens at once! The poop, the flies, the amount of feed we were going through! It was overwhelming. And I didn't have the clean up/ quarantine issues that you have. I listed my hens for sale on craigslist on Friday and the last 4 are leaving tonight. Now I have only pullets and a few of our hens that are considered pets so they will be the only egglayers for a few weeks. But the breather between flocks will give me a chance to clean the coops and brooder, discharge the herds of mice from the coop (I don't leave food out so I can't imagine why there are so many this year), de-worm the new flock, and just generally enjoy things. I'll only have a few eggs to bring in each day, only two coops to feed/water (rooster coop and pullet coop), one bag of food should easily last one week.

I was amazed at how quickly the birds sold. I got $10 each for them and felt that was quite fair in my area. They were all spoken for in the first 5 emails that I received.

You are such a wonderful person!! I had a similar yet way-not-so-extreme case this weekend, when I went over to my DFIL's to visit....we have been talking about getting some ducks and my DFIL has more than he needs, so when I was there we saw the white crested pekins (4 total) in a dog kennel, crappy set up and they were very skittish from being ignored all the time, mucky water, no food, etc...
sickbyc.gif
(I will refrain from saying what I want to regarding my husband's dad...he is a great man but definitely is one that should not own animals
duc.gif
). Anyways.....I am looking at these poor babies and I say to my hubby....maybe we should just take all of them. That sealed it. They were mine and they were coming home to live a life full of treats and kiddie swimming pools.

So, now I have four beautiful duckies, they are about 10 weeks old and they went swimming yesterday and I almost cried they were so happy!!!
wee.gif
Still very skittish, but of course that takes time. Eventually we will build them their own area, they are in my dog's 10'x10' kennel so they have plenty of room for now and probably the first time in their lives they ate the right type of food that ducks are supposed to eat. I thought about putting them in with my 9 chickens, but they are SO MESSY that I am still thinking about that one.....

So, I completely understand your situation and I applaud you for it!!
clap.gif
Best of luck with it all! And if you lived any closer I would be over in a heartbeat picking up some of those cutie brahmas
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom