Upcoming freezing weather

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
Hi all! So apparently, Florida will be getting pretty severe weather in upcoming days and I'm a bit worried about my ducks.

It will be dropping into the 20s (with pretty strong winds), which none of my birds have ever experienced before. It did briefly drop to 31 the other night, but I think this will be pushing it for them. Up north I never had issues with ducks in the cold (even snow), but they were used to it so I was never concerned.

Should I bring everyone inside until the weather passes? Or do you guys think they'll be alright? They have plenty of cover & shelter to get out of the wind, but it's mostly the cold I'm worried about.

Hi all! So apparently, Florida will be getting pretty severe weather in upcoming days and I'm a bit worried about my ducks.

It will be dropping into the 20s (with pretty strong winds), which none of my birds have ever experienced before. It did briefly drop to 31 the other night, but I think this will be pushing it for them. Up north I never had issues with ducks in the cold (even snow), but they were used to it so I was never concerned.

Should I bring everyone inside until the weather passes? Or do you guys think they'll be alright? They have plenty of cover & shelter to get out of the wind, but it's mostly the cold I'm worried about.
I was worried about my ducks when we had a crazy, abnormal spell of weather where temps and snow fell like crazy. My ducks loved the snow! And they quacked at me until I broke the ice on their pool so they could swim. All this during a blizzard.

That night (while the snowstorm raged on), I was worried about them going to bed wet in single digit temps. But they were warm and dry (well, as dry as ducks get). I think your ducks will be fine! Folks on here have ducks in MUCH colder temps than either of us have ecperienced.

I wouldn't' worry to much. 99% of the time we are more concerned about the cold than they are. ;)
As long as they are fully feathered, and have a dry draft free coop you should be just fine.
Our temperature dropped down to 5 degrees a couple weeks ago. -3 in the early mornings. My ducks don't don't even have a real coop. Their coop is a large outdoor dog run that I covered in tarps for the wet season. Its draft free, but I have to add more dry bedding each day from moisture.
My ducks did just fine. I don't plan on going through another winter with this coop, I am very excited that I have plans for a nice sturdy coop and run this summer, but I think the imperfect setup has toughened them up some. They swamp all day, and had a great time in the snow! I would have cut access to the pond, but the cold spike was sudden. They didn't seem to mind.
Point being, ducks are very cold hardy. I bet your sweet babies will be just fine. :)

Mine are pretty used to the 20s and such (Indiana) but we've had a couple of nights of single digits with below 0 wind chills. I made sure to give them a ton of fresh bedding to snuggle into at night. Their coop is inside a 10x10 dog run that has a roof and tarps on two sides to cut down on wind. I also propped bales of straw along some additional open areas, but left a lot of room for ventilation. Nothing wet. Their food and water stays outside, and they have a ton of straw (extra during this cold snap) in the 10x10 during the day to snuggle in and protect their feet. They've had no issues with our recent cold weather. They just snuggle and sleep all day - even though they have room to go outside.

Back
Top Bottom